Galileo Luna - blank screen, seems to be functional otherwise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cetus

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi divers,

I need help with my Galileo Luna. During pre-dive check yesterday, I turned it on. The screen was very bleak for a second or two and then went completely blank. I switched to a backup computer and proceeded with the dive.

Later on, I pulled the battery and measured voltage, first thing. It was a steady 2.89v, and I remember seeing battery as full in the split second I saw the screen for the last time.

The LCD screen was bleaker always on that computer, compared to the second Luna I bought together with the first one. It's been ~4 years so they're off the Scubapro warranty. Needless to say I love my Lunas.

I'm wondering what is the best course of action here. Range is from a DYI repair to buying a new unit.

Thank you for your suggestions!

I had that happen to my Luna once during pre-dive checks. It recovered after removing and replacing the battery. After the weekend, I sent it to scubapro who held onto it for about a month. They sent it back saying no problem found. I put another 100 dives on it after that (and replaced the battery at least once). No further problems. I think that was a year ago at least, maybe longer. There were logs from a few rides they had put it on in a very cold test chamber.

My experience is that scubapro must have been in Colorado on "vacation" when they wrote that material stating how long a battery will last in their DC. At least in benign 72-82 degree warm water, anyway.

Did you ever get this problem figured out? Mine just did the same thing this afternoon. It was fine on the surface, descended, checked it at 35' and nothing. I can push the buttons and hear an audible tone as usual and was able to download my dives from it. Screen still won't display and it recorded the dive today as being 09/30 instead of 10/02....

You have a second Luna: exchange the batteries and check what happens.
Measuring voltage while batteries are not under load often leads to wrong results - you would be amazed measuring voltage in working conditions.

I've sent it to Scubapro. They returned it completely dead, no tones, nothing. Offered me a discount. I've bough another on eBay and been using it without problems.

Needless to say I'll never buy a dive computer from Scubapro again. Luna is great, but support is terrible and repair service does not exist.

Did you ever get this problem figured out? Mine just did the same thing this afternoon. It was fine on the surface, descended, checked it at 35' and nothing. I can push the buttons and hear an audible tone as usual and was able to download my dives from it. Screen still won't display and it recorded the dive today as being 09/30 instead of 10/02....

Scubapro only offers a short one year warranty on their products. Any use you get out of a scubapro product after one year is just luck, apparently.

So it is, and Shearwater offers 2 years. Pay with Amex, make it 3:

What is Shearwater’s warranty policy? - Shearwater Research

I don't really want to make an argument out of it. My 2 Lunas worked well beyond warranty and I still use them. I'm taking good care of them, such as keeping them in Pelican box to avoid any damage, for all times except, of course, dive time.

Scubapro only offers a short one year warranty on their products. Any use you get out of a scubapro product after one year is just luck, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom