Galileo Sol Warranty **BEWARE**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More and more shops are adopting an attitude of "didn't buy it from us, we won't service it; you want our service, then support us by purchasing it here".

As soon as you hear that or get a feeling that is what they are implying ask to speak with the owner of the dive shop. I would give the owner a chance to explain HIS take on the policy rather than hearing it second hand from one of the employees. Sometimes messages get crossed and an employee can damage a business reputation when he has no pull so it's only fair to offer him/her a chance to make things right.

If that fails, file a complain with the BBB and put that on you "DO NOT RETURN TO THIS STORE" list. Tell your fellow divers about this treatment and move on to another dive shop.

If you stop going there and then your friends hear your story and can relate to maybe a time they had bad service, they will stop going. Eventually the business dries up for this store and they can't pay the bills and have to close.

Sounds harsh? A LDS has no business being in business when they treat cutomers or potential customers that way, period.

As for the pricing in the LDS, most manufacturers, like Scubapro, have fixed pricing at the LDS. The LDS is given the MSRP. The most discount the LDS can offer is up to 10% off any current model item. If the LDS deviates from this pricing they are punished by having their dealer status taken away thus eliminating Scubapro from the their inventory.

I'm not defending either side on the issue here but people have to understand why, on some items, pricing is fixed across the board and it isn't the LDS "sticking it to you".

It is sad to see the fixed pricing from Scubapro USA along with a clause for no internet sales, but Scubapro Europe is much more relaxed without fixed pricing and allowing for online sales.

There is a lot to be said about how bad "price fixing" can be. But there is a very compelling counter arguement about the cost of supporting the customer.

I had a smart com computer replaced 3 times at no cost by scubapro... and the transmitters twice...I also have had my regulators serviced at three different shops, without any issue.

Note: Refusing to service a regulator is also refusing the money, not a very smart business plan.

If they did not stand behind their product, then I would not buy anything from them.. but they do, and that costs money for both the shop and scubapro.

This issue with buying from Spain is nothing more that SCUBA Pro USA not getting any money to offset the cost of the repair/replacement. If they did service it, why would anyone buy from a US dealer?

This issue with buying from Spain is nothing more that SCUBA Pro USA not getting any money to offset the cost of the repair/replacement. If they did service it, why would anyone buy from a US dealer?

Fine, then just do the service but also charge for the parts. There can be perfectly legitimate reasons for purchasing gear out of the country.

For that matter, I can walk into Scuba.com (it is near my work) and purchase a gear item and no one would really know I didn't purchase it online. If one of the main arguments is that by purchasing online you lose the "service", but buying in-store from an online store is actually the same as buying in-store, but most other shops wouldn't see that, and would pidgeon-hole you anyway.

It is a very sad industry this price-fixing and fear of losing dealer status and also fear of being put of of business because you are unable to compete on price or volume by going online. Some shops have a very bad attitude about it, others truly are between a rock-and-a-hard place.

It is ScubaPro US and AquaLung that are to blame.

At least we still have some manufacturers like Dive Rite that aren't afraid of online sales.

Sorry to hear (read?) about your problem. Hopefully, your computer's trip to Spain and back won't take too long. Please post back when you've got your computer back. I (and others I'm sure) would like to know how how long it took and how much it cost. Saving $700 may be worth having to send the unit to Europe for warranty service.

Thanks,

Ron

It was mailed out on 07/09/09, so we'll see. I'm thinking 2 months, any bets? Anyone wanna start a pool?

Ron[/QUOTE]

Guess you might say the OP is SOL.

I don't care where you're from, that's funny!
:rofl3:

And yes, that is funny.

Just to get things straight, I'm not Flaming ScubaStore.com, well I am a little, because they did imply it was warranty'd in the US to my wife, I'm honestly afraid that I'll get my Sol back and the damned thing will malfunction again, and again...

I'm honestly afraid that I'll get my Sol back and the damned thing will malfunction again, and again...

Or it comes back set to Spanish and you can't navigate the menus :)

Kidding aside, if it arrives and it malfunctions again it just gives you more ammo to demand a new unit in exchange for the defective unit.

Maybe I missed it in the orginal post but why were you sending the Sol in? I got that it "broke" in some way, just trying to get an idea of what was wrong.

Or it comes back set to Spanish and you can't navigate the menus :)

Kidding aside, if it arrives and it malfunctions again it just gives you more ammo to demand a new unit in exchange for the defective unit.

Maybe I missed it in the orginal post but why were you sending the Sol in? I got that it "broke" in some way, just trying to get an idea of what was wrong.

Loss of signal (PSI).

Couldn't get it to sync at all anymore?

I find that on the boat it is very difficult to get the PSI to sync when I first turn it on, it takes maybe a minute to get going. There are several threads here on Scuba Board about the issue. I don't usualy have a problem underwater but have lost a signal from time to time.

It is less of an issue for me because I carry a small pressure guage and I have my transmitter paired as the "buddy" tank to my wifes computer.

I wish you the best of luck getting the computer serviced and please let us know when you hear more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom