Galileo Sol Warranty **BEWARE**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue that leaves a bad taste in my mouth about this isn't the shipping. I believe the owner should have to pay for shipping. Until the service center receives the equipment they don't know whether it's a legitimate warranty claim or the malfunction was caused by operator head space and timing. Fair enough. What bothers me is that this cuts both ways and the warranty (the one listed in the manual that comes with the Sol) seems to indicate that it doesn't matter where you bought it, as long as the dealer was an authorized one, you could send it to the nearest dealer or service center for repair. My wife and I often travel and one of the selling points for Scubapro is that they have service centers (places capable of repairing most equipment, including PDC's) worldwide. So if a malfunction does occur the possibility of having it repaired and being able to use it again in a relatively short period of time is there. What this thread has brought up is that may not be the case. And not because there isn't a nearby service center that can fix it, but because we bought it in the U.S. and that's not the country we're currently in. I've seen the warranty for the Sol's that come from Europe and they're the same as the U.S. The only difference may come in the form of additional rights you might have according to local laws where you live or bought it. So basically I could be right down the street from a place that can fix the Sol, but I would still have to send it back to the U.S. I would even be willing to pay any extra shipping costs back to the U.S. if they weren't able to repair it in the time I would be in that local. That's my issue.

I agree with you on most parts. I dont know how the conversation with Scubapro went. Like I said, it may have been a communication issue and it is possible that you may be able to request shipping it or taking it to a LOCAL center.

Maybe someone should ask for clarification from SP on how the warranty on a computer would be handled.

Maybe someone should ask for clarification from SP on how the warranty on a computer would be handled.
That would probably be the most reasonable way to resolve the question. In fact it would have probably been a good idea before I started getting my drawers in a bunch. I'll see what I can find out.:wink:

Valhalla,

I think the issue the OP has was that the online store in which his wife purchased the computer (as a gift) from possibly did not fully disclose that the warranty she had inquiried about was only valid if you mailed in the unit to Scubapro Europe.

This could have been a misunderstanding between the purchaser and the store, it could have been misinformation from Scubapro to the shop or it could have been a communication issue between the OP and Scubapro when arranging warranty service. It could simply be a case of the terms of the warranty for service on the SOL where it was purchased, I personally don't know.

In the end, from the info OP posted, I don't think he is too upset that he had to send it to Europe for service but more that he wanted to let everyone know of the issue he is having getting warranty work done. The shop offered up an instore credit for their website to the OP if I remember right, not sure if they did do it or not.

I in no way speak for the OP but I felt I could easily sum up where we are at so far.

Fair enough, but I would pose this question to the OP. Would you return the unit to the seller and pay the additional $700 to acquire the computer in the states if you had the chance? I am betting no. Should they have disclosed their warrantee policy more clearly? Sure, but don't forget the $700 savings. The larger issue is what a cool wife! Does she have a single sister?

**UPDATE**
Man you guys are busy, haven't been here in a couple of days and the posts......

So, I emailed Scubastore.com to see if they had received my Sol as I had shipped it on 07/08/09. This is the email I received yesterday.

"Not yet... We will let you know once receiving it from you."

And my response...

I mailed it to you for repair weeks ago, you have not recieved it?!?!?!

Below is my Post Office Receipt.

And they're response today..

"We have some packages here. Maybe one is yours. i will let you know when cheking them"

Nice Huh? I wonder what they're gonna do if they can't find my $1200.00
computer?

**UPDATE**
Man you guys are busy, haven't been here in a couple of days and the posts......

So, I emailed Scubastore.com to see if they had received my Sol as I had shipped it on 07/08/09. This is the email I received yesterday.

"Not yet... We will let you know once receiving it from you."

And my response...

I mailed it to you for repair weeks ago, you have not recieved it?!?!?!

Below is my Post Office Receipt.

And they're response today..

"We have some packages here. Maybe one is yours. i will let you know when cheking them"

Nice Huh? I wonder what they're gonna do if they can't find my $1200.00
computer?

You used US snail mail to ship a parcel? A camel is a horse bulit by the US Federal Goverment.

I personally would never send any item of value via USPS Mail to another country. The key reason is once the package leaves the US it changes hads to what ever country postal systems it goes through.

On average, an international package takes 10 to 15 business days to get to its destination unless you send it Express or Air.

I always opt for a carrier like Fedex or UPS that offers insurance, delivery tracking, and signature confirmation. While the response from them appears to be relaxed, Scubapro can't really be blamed if the package has not arrived yet.

I understand the frustration with their response but maybe it was taken out of context? As in they were trying to give you a status update that packages had arrived and they would let you know if yours was received after they checked them all in?

I'm just trying to the "big picture".

Sorry I could not resist but as splash says UPS should be used exclusively for pacels, overseas or not. I really hope all works out well for you as I really enjoy my Galileo as I am sure you do. Given the opportunity I would use your source for the computer and reap the savings even with your current diffuculties in mind as warranty issues are quite rare for quality products such as SP....

Last edited:
Yet another update in an attempt to clarify this whole issue.

I just got off the phone with Gabriel Gilman at Scubapro. He was extremely pleasant and happy to answer all of my questions.

Here are the FACTS:

If you purchase any Scubapro/ Uwatec product ANYWHERE in the world from an Authorized Dealer, you can obtain warranty service ANYWHERE in the world. It does NOT matter if the item was purchased while you were on a trip to USA, EU, or Asia - you CAN obtain warranty service in the USA, EU, Asia.

HOWEVER!!! He specifically used scubastore.com in Spain as his example (I didn't even ask about them). Apparently scubastore.com in Spain has "violated the terms of an agreement with Scubapro and Scubapro/ Uwatec items purchased from them MUST be returned to Scubapro in Europe for Factory Warranty work."

If that does not clear this issue up, I don't know what will.

Back
Top Bottom