Galveston diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalistair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is anyone interested in Rig Diving or Spear fishing out of Galveston in Sep-Oct? I want to get a least one local salt water dive before the winter weather hits!

I would be curious to go out on a dive like this once I get up and working(this week), even if it was to help the folks actually spear fishing, as I'm not terribly experienced...

This sounds pretty interesting to me, but if I can make it at all it probably wouldn't be until Oct. I'm less experienced than txaggie08, so I'm definitely more inclined towards the rig dive. Does the weather really make that much difference all the way down there on the Gulf? Maybe a dumb question, but I didn't think the temp really got down so much as to dramatically change the water temp out in the Gulf.

Anyway, let's keep this thread alive because I'm definitely curious.

Having never dove in the Gulf I do not know how the temp drops, however I did read on one of the websites for rig diving that a 3mm suit is good through Sep. As for October I did hear that many of the charters start to shut down by then but there are a few that are open. While I want to try spearfishing I would not mind just going rig diving.

Hmm... I would suggest the first weekend in October, but that is Trashfest weekend and I'm planning on doing that. I might be able to swing the second weekend in October if there is a charter available? I'll probably end up buying a wetsuit for that dive since I'm going to be getting a shorty to cover the rest of the summer.

Unless you already have the shorty I would save the money and just buy a full 3mm. Even though it is hot right now as soon as you get in the water it does not matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom