Garganta del Diablo -Devil's Throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt:
If you like fast current (usually), it can be a fun dive. Like I said in the earlier post, it can be hit or miss. I do many dives while in in Cozumel so I always ask for it. I wouldn't replace Columbia Deep or Palancar Caves with it, but if you're doing a bunch of dives including all other favoirtes, I like it. Sometimes we follow it with Chun Chacaab for a second dive which is way south too! It's a different kind of dive which is less visited, and that's just the kind of diving that I like.

Matt

Never did the Palancar Caves but hear it is a great dive. Will try to do that next time I'm in Coz. The Palancar Horshoe is also a great dive.

DiverG:
I've dove devils throat several times and love this dive. One time we missed the opening at the top so the DM took us to the bottom opening and we swam up through the throat exiting at the top. It was great doing it in reverse.
Even more interesting is when you have one group of six or 7 divers going one way while another group is coming up the other way. Luckily we met right at the cross, and were able to hold position while the other group took the alternate exit. I shudder to think of the mess there would have been if the two groups met in the long swimthrough.

Charlie

Charlie99:
Even more interesting is when you have one group of six or 7 divers going one way while another group is coming up the other way. Luckily we met right at the cross, and were able to hold position while the other group took the alternate exit. I shudder to think of the mess there would have been if the two groups met in the long swimthrough.

Charlie

That would have been interesting. Something tells me the visibilty would have gone downhill quickly in your scenario.

The viz doesn't get as bad as you'd think. I shot this video after being the last of 9 people through. The video lights really pick up the particles and make it look worse than it really is. I compressed the video to get the whole Devil's Throat section of the dive on it so quality isn't great, nor did I spend anytime editing. It's a 16MB QuickTime movie. The video was shot in March 2006.

http://www.DiversDescent.com/pages/devilsthroat.html

God, look at those divers trashing the joint...lol....DT has changed since Wilma - no more cross (which was in "Cathedral") - and the pathway has widened and changed significantly...no more pathway to 135 feet...anyway, Alberto is one of the new, good kids Apple has. I was generally impressed with his skills and his personality.

pilot fish:
Devil's Throat is my favorite dive to date. I really loved it. Great formations and swim thrus. I was in total awe - it was as good as Loudives said it was going to be. I hope I remember the path I took on the dive correctly?

Enter a smallish hole, 5x5 or so at about 85- 90 ft. Dark so you need a light. To the right for about 8 ft around a coral formation, then left for about 10 ft or so. Exit swim thru over a coral mound called the Adam's Apple then straight for a few yards at 90ft. Then swim to the right to enter another swim thru that is about 40 to 60 ft in lenght. Some light comes into this swim thru from above, as it angles down. Exit this swim thru, the Throat, at 120 to 130ft, I hit 126 ft, and you are in a Cathedral like opening. Deep blue in front of you and a drop off about 20 yards or so in front of you. Again to the right and begin swiming up thru spire like formation, what's that portion called? and exit the reef formation. Do you divers remember it that way?

Hi Pilot...Wash here. I have dove Punta Sur for many a year,and its my fav dive. I havnt been to Coz since Wilma,as a matter of fact its been years since ive been. Im going in August...heres the deal...I was in a dive shop last nite and someone told me that devils throat was no more...that the roof had been taken away by Wilma,and its really not even close to the dive that it was!
Please Please say it aint so ! I bet the numbskull that dove it really wasnt on the Punta Sur reef......I can take it...give me the truth.
Regards Wash

DT is alive and well. I dove it last week. Still one of my favorites after all these years. I love the reaction of my divers when they hit the surface. It does get challenging if there are other groups but rarely does it get very busy because it is such an advanced dive. I don't take that many people there until they show me they can handle themselves well underwater.

washguy:
Hi Pilot...Wash here. I have dove Punta Sur for many a year,and its my fav dive. I havnt been to Coz since Wilma,as a matter of fact its been years since ive been. Im going in August...heres the deal...I was in a dive shop last nite and someone told me that devils throat was no more...that the roof had been taken away by Wilma,and its really not even close to the dive that it was!
Please Please say it aint so ! I bet the numbskull that dove it really wasnt on the Punta Sur reef......I can take it...give me the truth.
Regards Wash

It seemd fine to me but I never saw it pre Wilma. A few divers in my group had done it before and they still thought it was an awesome dive. It is my fav to this day.

ScubaTony:
DT is alive and well. I dove it last week. Still one of my favorites after all these years. I love the reaction of my divers when they hit the surface. It does get challenging if there are other groups but rarely does it get very busy because it is such an advanced dive. I don't take that many people there until they show me they can handle themselves well underwater.

It is not a dive for a new or newer diver. I think one of the main things you need for this dive is being OK at depth. I was lucky enough to buddy with Alfredo from Dive Paradise and I felt very comfortable.

miesemer:
The viz doesn't get as bad as you'd think. I shot this video after being the last of 9 people through. The video lights really pick up the particles and make it look worse than it really is. I compressed the video to get the whole Devil's Throat section of the dive on it so quality isn't great, nor did I spend anytime editing. It's a 16MB QuickTime movie. The video was shot in March 2006.

http://www.DiversDescent.com/pages/devilsthroat.html

Awesome...just, awesome.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom