Garmin Descent MK1 - Wish List, Reliability and other MK1 related things.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a tester for this product. Rest assured that Garmin is listening to all of these concerns. This truly is a great product.

Reactions: Jay
Another cast for PPS transmitter.

Reactions: Jay
@Scott Kramer - if you've been a tester, maybe you can answer this for me.. From the little info that is out there on this device, the comparisons between it and the 5x list that the Descent misses out on some of the multi-sport functionality, including cardio and gym rep sets. Do you know if this is something that can be enabled, or added via an IQ app?

@Scott Kramer - if you've been a tester, maybe you can answer this for me.. From the little info that is out there on this device, the comparisons between it and the 5x list that the Descent misses out on some of the multi-sport functionality, including cardio and gym rep sets. Do you know if this is something that can be enabled, or added via an IQ app?

FWIW, earlier on in the other Garmin thread on SB I compared both the manuals and didn't find any difference.

Last edited:
I would like a version with just depth, dive time and maybe dive log features. I already have a couple of Petrels so the Garmin will never be a primary dive computer for me.

However I like the look of it as a dive watch with the GPS and other typical Garmin functionality and style.

DCRainmaker, who has already tested it says, that the Descent MK1 has, besides the dive computer, everything that 5x has: Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch

The link from Stiebs show the following differences (MK1 on LHS):

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 2.57.15 pm.png

perhaps @Rhyno might know

Last edited:
The link from Stiebs show the following differences (MK1 on LHS):

View attachment 438937

perhaps @Rhyno might know

Reply #31
DC Rainmaker
October 31, 2017 at 10:47 am #31

Yup, everything else is there, including maps that vary based on region. Think of this as a Fenix 5XU (where U stands for Underwater).

Reply #37 & #38
Filip
October 31, 2017 at 10:27 am #37

great source of info about this watch, have been waiting for something like this :)

if I understand correctly apart from the described differences (physical + added diving features) there are no other differences to 5x, correct? Essentially Descent is an expansion of 5x features as I understand it, right?

Thank you!
F

55926d11e3304bc3d110cd3221a41438x58.png
DC Rainmaker
October 31, 2017 at 10:45 am #38
Yup – totally correct, beyond what I listed it’s the same as a Fenix 5X. So for a triathlete or sporty person that was looking at a 5X and also dives, this is a pretty logical step up.

Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch

Reply #179 & #180
Luciano
December 12, 2017 at 6:07 am #179

Hi! I came across the following information in another website and I think it might be misleading.
As I understood the mk1 can do absolutely eveything the 5X does but then I come across this article. Maybe the betta version of thr watch doesn’t do it? Or maybe it can be added buy downloading new software?
I appreciate the mk1 owners to check this one for me since I think that strength training is important for me.

Here the article of the missing features:

FENIX 5X VS DESCENT MK1
You mentioned that Descent doesn’t have quite the same amount of fitness/training features as the Fenix 5 tell me more! The following might sound like a lot but considering the number of diving features gained and the plethora of fitness features still available it doesn’t make an impact on how powerful this watch is. I’ve listed the specs below for a full breakdown of all features available.

The Descent Mk1 won’t come preloaded with profiles for Strength, training and cardio training. It also does not come with Cardio workouts, strength workouts or the automatic rep counting feature.

In regards to training and planning/analysis features the Descent won’t come with auto multisport activities or manual multisport activities.

For running features, the Descent Mk1 has almost all the same except Vertical oscillation and ratio (the degree of ‘bounce’ in your running motion and the cost-benefit ration with stride length). Ground contact time and balance (shows how much time, in the running motion, your foot is on the ground rather than in flight and lets you check your running symmetry) and Stride length. *All of these require the compatible accessory from Garmin.

Additionally, the Descent Mk1 does not feature the FTP (Functional Threshold Power) feature that is available with the fenix 5X for cycling.

55926d11e3304bc3d110cd3221a41438x58.png
DC Rainmaker
December 12, 2017 at 2:53 pm #180
As noted somewhere above, the strength piece were only very recently added in a firmware update to the Fenix 5X units, and as such haven’t yet been added to the MK1, though it sounds like that’s the plan.

The other items listed are simply incorrect. It sounds like the person didn’t know how to configure those.

---------------------------------------------------------------

My comment:
In any case, let's just wait a few more days, and we'll see what Descent MK1 has and what does not have! But DC Rainmaker almost never gets it wrong!

Last edited:
I initially created this thread because I was very optimistic about Garmin's innovation and future plans (e.g. re a MK2).

Checking back in with the Garmin forums, I see a lot of non-diving related issues with the Descent, in general relatively poor client engagement, not too many happy users, and several cases of sensors being faulty.

In terms of diving related issues the only issues that I saw (from overviewing the pages of threads) was a Dive Time computation issue when an EOD (End of Dive) feature was used, and a compass issue. If Garmin users here are aware of any other diving related issues please do correct me.

To me, the MK2 (assuming with AI) would be akin to the holy grail of watches. I love my multi-sports and diving, but first and foremost I need a highly reliable dive watch [you've got one job ... yada-yada]. However, if there's so many bugs with the non-core/non-diving features, and client support is so lacking, then it seriously detracts from the attractiveness of the core product (IMOo).

A user on the Garmin forum posted that the MK2 would be a 2020 item. If you asked me that a few months ago I would have said that was a joke and for sure it's got to be ~early '19 at the latest.. Now, I don't think that's a joke at all, and I fear that when AI is implemented, bugs, user requests etc will be lost/delayed in the ether.

Would be very interested to hear from Descent owners here if they are still happy or not with the product, and if my thoughts are too (negatively) swayed by the Garmin Forums?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom