Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont yell at me - didnt read all posts - Its a Mk2

I love my Garmin but for some reason my wrist will bump it into CCR mode - last trip to largo serveral dives were logged as CCR

Any way to stop it from doing that - or just make sure and check it before you submerge.
You can lock the buttons to prevent accidental pushes. Works quite well. And you could move the ccr option down from the single/multigas so it needs more than one push to change. Put some non diving in between.

I love my Garmin but for some reason my wrist will bump it into CCR mode - last trip to largo serveral dives were logged as CCR

Any way to stop it from doing that - or just make sure and check it before you submerge.
That's weird. Do you ever use CCR mode? If not, you can remove the CCR mode from the favorites list. It won't remove the mode entirely, but will make it harder to get into.

I tried on my MK2s, and can't really find a way to change the dive mode without pressing the back button, then the up or down button and the select button. That seems to be a complicated set of button pushes to be an accident more than once.

Either something is really wrong, or CCR mode was selected at the start of the dive on one dive and not noticed after. If you don't start the dive mode ahead of the dive, when submerged, it will revert to last used.

I going to figure out the lock function that would work well.

How well does the offline map functions work? Obviously, this is in regards to hiking trails not under water. Does using the buttons become a hassle to scroll the maps? I don't think the MK2s or MK2 have touch screen functionality to allow scrolling with your finger.

I have owned my MK2i for just over a year, worn everyday and used for various sport tracking most days, obviously as well as diving with it.

I have used it for a couple of walks where I have uploaded the route onto the watch and then used the map screen to follow the route. Generally in mountain areas, with marked paths, but not all the paths fully marked. The map screen is very basic, so it doesn't really help with navigation, although it does show if you are on the right preloaded route or not. You are correct there isn't a touch screen so you need to use the buttons to scroll, I would generally set the map display to a suitable scale and then not scroll when using it. I used it once in heavy fog on the top of a hill with no obvious path, and it did a good job of keeping me on track. Having it on your wrist makes it far easier to keep an eye on whether you are on track or not, without having to pull out a phone or paper map and compass.

Overall for this sort of useage it is okay, but I would want to use it for navigating without a pre-planned route.

I have been using it without the lock function enabled but just last week its got into diagnostic mode right before jumping in, so I had to randomly press the buttons to get out of it while others waiting for me :-D, so, I have it now enabled.
Regarding the navigation, map data quality is pretty good, I also use gpx tracks from other sources and load hike routes. Yes, panning and zooming is not so nice with buttons but real function of the navigation is to pick the correct path at a fork/junction, so, I rarely browse the map during navigation.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered but I didn't find anything after a couple searches.

I had an issue with my first dive series with the Mk2i where it split a dive it shouldn't have, and all subsequent dives then had the wrong dive number. I am manually correcting those, but I'm curious if my next dive series (next week, yay!) will use the first free number in sequence after the edits are done, or if it 'remembers' which one it was on before so that all future dives will be the wrong number. Anyone know for sure?

I don't see any function to change the dive number 'seed' value so I'm worried I'll be doing this editing forever with this computer.

So for a short period of time you were able to upload straight from Garmin's ecosystem into SSI.
Then this popped up:

Unfortunately, the connection to the dive data has been switched off by Garmin. You can still transfer data already transmitted by Garmin into the SSI Logbook. Garmin wants to focus on their main sports and therefore no longer offers an interface for the non-main sports (such as flying, motorsports, horseback riding, diving).

So for a short period of time you were able to upload straight from Garmin's ecosystem into SSI.
Then this popped up:
The SSI app is crap anyway. Subsurface for the win, although to import from Garmin is a manual file copy process from my experience (Descent G1) over usb, but it doesn't really bother me too much as I just copy them over 5-10 at a time.

We asked SSI at a recent feedback meeting regarding support for directly uploading logs from non-Mares dive computers into the SSI app - they weren't interested in it at all and the conversation was abruptly moved onto the next topic....

The SSI app is crap anyway. Subsurface for the win, although to import from Garmin is a manual file copy process from my experience (Descent G1) over usb, but it doesn't really bother me too much as I just copy them over 5-10 at a time.
Agreed. While Garmin was supporting, I did upload a bit to the SSI app just to see. Definitely lacking compared to Subsurface.
We asked SSI at a recent feedback meeting regarding support for directly uploading logs from non-Mares dive computers into the SSI app - they weren't interested in it at all and the conversation was abruptly moved onto the next topic....
Yeah, I find the note that Garmin pulled support to be a bit suspect. Still works just fine for Subsurface, and Garmin still allows for downloading and exporting the .fit files.

For the Garmin Mk2, It isn't even a file copy. Connect the Mk2 via USB and Subsurface can detect and import directly.

Back
Top Bottom