Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you know he didn’t have them both displayed on his Descent, testing to make sure they read the same?
I don't, and that is a possibility, but we know from the comment that the diver is also using a Shearwater so I assume the PPS transmitter is for the Shearwater.

Also note that I tested my three Oceanic branded PPS transmitters and they vary by 1-2 bar on full tanks so I wouldn't be surprised if the PPS reads differently from the Garmin.

I don't, and that is a possibility, but we know from the comment that the diver is also using a Shearwater so I assume the PPS transmitter is for the Shearwater.

Also note that I tested my three Oceanic branded PPS transmitters and they vary by 1-2 bar on full tanks so I wouldn't be surprised if the PPS reads differently from the Garmin.

The comment did not say the beta tester was actually using a Shearwater computer that day. Only that the tester said the Descent 2 is "on par" with his Shearwater. And, for that matter, if he was also using a Shearwater, he could still have the PPS transmitter displayed on more than 1 computer.

Regardless, all I'm trying to say is that nothing about any of that post from the Garmin forum gives enough information to conclude positively that the Descent 2 will not read a PPS transmitter.

I HIGHLY doubt it will, but I like to avoid jumping to unfounded conclusions. And, as I pointed out earlier, if the Descent 2 can pick up the RF frequency that the PPS transmitters use, then even if it doesn't support them on release, it would only be a firmware update away from being able to support them in the future. I think.

Sasquatch.jpg

As you can see, this diver is also wearing a pre-release Mk2.

Garmin submitted a new smartwatch to the FCC on Monday. Could it be the Descent MK2i? FCC ID IPH-03927

Don't think so. Frequency Range 2.402-2.48 GHz is Bluetooth so not for tank pod integration. Perhaps MK2 minus the i?
That's the same range as the Garmin tank transmitter: FCC ID IPH-03550

The Garmin tank transmitter uses RF (2.402-2.48 GHz) out of the water and "a sonar signal" underwater. The "sonar signal" is probably not subject to FCC review.

Some interesting things here...

1. I don’t know if a device that is only capable of receiving radio broadcasts is required to go through FCC testing. I assume this is required for devices that have a transmitter only. Bluetooth of course is bidirectional, while the passive scanning of a PPS transmitter would not be. Looking at Shearwater for example, I only see listings for the Teric, and what I assume is it’s Wireless charging components https://fccid.io/2AO24. The lack of listing doesn’t rule out the possibility of the watch supporting PPS transmitters.

2. I think I found an accidental listing for the watch at this site here: Garmin Descent™ Mk2 Dive Computer Series - Neptonics. It seems to confirm that there will be atleast a sonar transmitter.

Explore both of your worlds, underwater and topside, with Descent™ Mk2, & Mk2i the watch-sized dive computer. Track your breath and depth with Descent™ multiple dive modes, an underwater compass and surface GPS capabilities, it doubles as a premium multisport smartwatch when you’re on land.

The Mk2i features SubWave™ sonar technology for integrated tank pressure monitoring on up to 5 tanks when paired with the Descent™ T1 transmitter (Additional equipment (sold separately).

It could be an improvement over the PPS transmitter, but given that everyone owns a Shearwater, it would be naive of Garmin to only support a transmitter that isn’t an industry standard yet. Given their support of Ant+, I really hope that this isn’t the case.

From a business perspective, if you invest money developing a proprietary transmitter, why would you give users the option to use a competitor's transmitter? Garmin is no doubt confident that lack of transmitter compatibility will not be a deal breaker for most people.

Realistically, the percentage of divers who will buy and wear two $1000+ air integrated computers is incredibly small (SB users are not a representative sample).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom