Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I'm only playing devil's advocate here for no other reason than to explore the discussion from an academic standpoint, but ...

From a systemic (and perhaps diagnostic) position, one could feasibly also track heart rate while diving and how depth or various breathing gasses affect it. It could then be compared to hiking, running, or cycling, or being at rest. If one were to experience ... not problems, per se, but ... changes? while diving having one more metric could help pinpoint the source and how to handle it moving forward.

Of course, that would mean wearing the Mk2 against the skin i think very few folks here would be doing that ... which reinforces the argument against wanting a single device one doesn't have to remove for all activities. It still has to be taken off and affixed over exposure suits, so whether you're taking off the Mk2 and replacing once you're in your drysuit or taking off the Mk2 and replacing it with the Teric, not much difference there. (Maybe wear both. One inside the exposure suit. One outside. Heeheehee.)

I did address this point earlier. When diving, I think gas consumption and heart rate are going to directly correlate. And, gas consumption is the more important thing to pay attention to.

No, you can't compare gas consumption while diving to anything when running/riding/hiking. But, is that really relevant?

The Garmin Connect app is not that great for displaying dive data. This is my dive from yesterday:
View attachment 620224

Yes. When it does/did work it displayed the dive data correctly .

Its great that you have what you feel is a proper app but intentionally showing broken screens might confuse some who think you are actually being forthcoming until they read on. At first I honestly thought you had an issue and didn't know that it could display all that the dive app does...silly me!:thumb:

As an app it will show all the dive data that the watch will produce and more. Now whether it is good enough... or proper..and works for what the user needs that is as always personal preference.

I would like to learn more about the circumstances on these dives. I've conducted more than 50 deco dives using my old MK1 and I've never seen anything more than a few minutes of difference in the deco schedule between the MK1 and my Perdix.

Without knowing anything about the dives, it's conceivable if one didn't enter their deco gas correctly, you could easily have several hours of deco assuming one did 60 minutes at 130 feet on air and the computer though you'd be deco'ing out on air.

I find it quite a capable tech diving computer, and I'm saying this as someone who has no financial interest in the sales of these computers.

Tony
I will gladly ask one of my 2 friends who had the failure. He is a TDI Trimix Instructor, with that being said I will get the full story from him. All I can remember when he last talked about it was that the deco stop was way too long and the peredix was correct. I know this person and I know their skills so I can certainly say that he switched gases on his computer. I can only remember one other thing and that was the peredix didn't do a deco lockout on him but the Garmin did and locked him out for a couple of days.

the Garmin did and locked him out for a couple of days.

That, all by itself, would be enough to take it off my potential shopping list. I don't want any computer that will lock me out, ever.

That, all by itself, would be enough to take it off my potential shopping list. I don't want any computer that will lock me out, ever.
Garmin states that it won't unless you want it to as that option is user selectable.

Supposedly even if selected and does lock you out, you can still go back and turn the function off.

Garmin states that it won't unless you want it to as that option is user selectable.

Supposedly even if selected and does lock you out, you can still go back and turn the function off.

Ah. Oh, yeah. Thanks for pointing that out. I vaguely remember hearing that before, now that you say that.

Hey guys,

I have my hands on a MK2i, and I just wrote a review about it, and how it compares to the MK1, and the Teric.

https://www.divetech.com/post/review-of-the-garmin-descent-mk2i

Let me know if you have any questions on it, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Tony
Thank you for the review/write-up. I will certainly be waiting for the pod to be released before purchasing, but this helped me quite bit. Thanks for the time to write it all down!

When's the last time you updated the app? Because you have major issues. That's not even close to the summary dive display.

You're basing an opinion on something you haven't even used.
No. Wrong. I have been using the Mk1 since March 2018 and I have been using Garmin Connect even longer.

As I said, the Garmin Connect app is flakey. It is a piece of crap and the developers are incompetent.

Today my dives show up as dives. Nothing has changed. I have not updated the app since yesterday.

No. Wrong. I have been using the Mk1 since March 2018 and I have been using Garmin Connect even longer.

As I said, the Garmin Connect app is flakey. It is a piece of crap and the developers are incompetent.

Today my dives show up as dives. Nothing has changed. I have not updated the app since yesterday.

No, without a doubt have a messed up app. Because loss of data/loss of display of data like that with the frequency you express would cause every major forum to blow up and the Garmin developers dragged out and lynched.

And your take on the developers is laughable at best.

From a systemic (and perhaps diagnostic) position, one could feasibly also track heart rate while diving and how depth or various breathing gasses affect it. It could then be compared to hiking, running, or cycling, or being at rest. If one were to experience ... not problems, per se, but ... changes? while diving having one more metric could help pinpoint the source and how to handle it moving forward.

I have worn the Mk1 on my wrist (by pushing the sleeve of my wetsuit farther up my arm) on a couple of dives. My heart rate was low. Lower than even when I'm walking. I don't know if that was because I am so chilled when diving or it is not accurate in water. Both dives were around 90 minutes and according to Garmin Connect I burnt less calories than on a 30 minute walk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom