Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you miss the qualification "as a DC only."
No, I was curious about why in your opinion is a Perdix is more capable in every regard as a dive computer.

Even the Perdix is cheaper, and way more capable in every regard except GPS.

In most other regards, the Perdix and/or Teric are either better "as a DC only," or the difference is one where people will have a different personal preferences which are legitimate for them.

In what regards is that, every other function as a dive computer? Why? As a dive computer they do the same things on a different display.

For me the edge on the Perdix is the screen size but I cannot think of anything else. On the Teric and for me the only notable difference was the brightness of the screen, the compass overlay and a while back, surface GF. But the brightness even in a couple inch viz is good enough that I can still see my MK2i.

No, I was curious about why in your opinion is a Perdix is more capable in every regard as a dive computer.

In what regards is that, every other function as a dive computer? Why? As a dive computer they do the same things on a different display.

For me the edge on the Perdix is the screen size but I cannot think of anything else. On the Teric and for me the only notable difference was the brightness of the screen, the compass overlay and a while back, surface GF. But the brightness even in a couple inch viz is good enough that I can still see my MK2i.
Maybe I should have said "equal or better." The Perdix has a screen size advantage. Both the Perdix and the Teric have an underwater readability advantage. (Surprisingly, for my old eyes, the Teric is the most readable dive computer underwater that I have seen ever. The Perdix is very readable, and has more info and a great UI) They both have UI design advantages. They both can interface with industry standard AI transmitters. The Perdix has a replaceable battery (more of a preference thing).

There are other differences as a DC, but I can't think of them now, mostly because I would overall rate them about equal to the Mk2i on balance, or personal preference.

I just remembered another huge advantage of the Mk2i, but not as a DC. The Teric screen is useless in bright sun, the Perdix is not much better. The Mk2i is very readable in the brightest sun. I guess this has some advantage for diving before/after the dive, but is mostly a non-diving advantage.

Someone Mentioned Offline Topo Maps, etc. These are not DC functions. They are hugely valuable to some people that use the MK2i above water, but unavailable on a dive and only a very few divers use topo maps etc. to find their dive sites.

I have used the topo maps on the Mk2i mountain climbing. Part of why I like the Mk2i for me, but not a DC function, and not a function that most divers will use.

Let me express it this way:
If I was forbidden to use the Mk2i(or Perdix/Teric) above 1' of water I would hands down choose the Perdix/Teric (probably Perdix), despite missing the long range AI. Even if there was no price difference.

If I could only use the Mk2i(or Perdix/Teric) while actively preparing for/going to diving, I would still choose the Perdix/Teric(probably Perdix), but it would be a harder decision: underwater readability + UI + price + other(individual preferences) vs. GPS + LR AI + surface readability.

Given the fact that I use the Mk2i for things other than diving, I am willing to give up the advantages of the Perdix/Teric(probably Perdix) for the advantages of the Mk2i despite the higher cost of the Mk2i.

My next dive computer will probably be a Perdix (while keeping my Mk2i and diving both together) though I am intrigued by the new Ratio computers. It will suck having to choose which AI transmitters to use, but will probably end up being SW Swifts and/or standard transmitters.

Folks its not just GPS, it is full offline topo maps, this type of data is not cheap and requires enormous amount of diskspace, I.e. descent hw is way more expensive as well. Add saphir glass and titanium case to that. Looking from that angle, suddenly a Teric looks to me too expensive to be just a dc.
Topo maps is not a DC function. I love the topo maps; I have used them on my Mk2i when mountain climbing, along with the altimeter and GPS. But I don't know anyone who has used them diving. Possibly some cave explorers discovering new caves in the wilderness will find it useful, but really not a DC function.

The sapphire screen is a DC function and does help justify the cost. Again a feature I love above and below the water, but not enough for me to recommend the Mk2i over the Perdix if evaluated as a DC only.

Topo maps is not a DC function. I love the topo maps; I have used them on my Mk2i when mountain climbing, along with the altimeter and GPS. But I don't know anyone who has used them diving. Possibly some cave explorers discovering new caves in the wilderness will find it useful, but really not a DC function.

The sapphire screen is a DC function and does help justify the cost. Again a feature I love above and below the water, but not enough for me to recommend the Mk2i over the Perdix if evaluated as a DC only.
I see your point but as you read, I looked at the total value of the device, how much hw and materials are worth as well as data if you bought such map. For DC functions, arguably, except the entry level ones, most DC in the market will have similar functionality. I can dive with any computer, when I bought descent, I did not even looked at the spec sheet of dive features in details because a I know they will be sufficient. My point is, Teric is not cheap either, just for a dive computer, add material qualities of descent in value on top of Terics price, you will find they are actually both expensive.
I also do not agree with topo maps being not relevant to diving. If you zoom out, you will see where you are in the ocean and you can navigate in the ocean offline where you have no mobile coverage, this is diving feature for me. When I look at the dives I did, they are rarely out in the blue, topo is always involved. If I was lost in the ocean, I can look at it and figure out where to swim ;-).

I have both a Shearwater Perdix AI and a Garmin MK2s.

From a functionality standpoint (as a dive computer) there is not a ton of difference between the two. Both support Air, EAN, Trimix. Both support single gas, multi-gas, CCR. The Garmin has apnea modes, but the Perdix does not (Teric does IIRC). Garmin has haptic and audible alarms. My Perdix does not, but the current versions of SW computers do.

The depth rating for the Perdix is more than twice that of the Garmins, but for the diving I do, this is a non-issue. The screen on the Perdix is definitely larger and offers more customization on the main screen. However, the Garmin offers additional dive screens with more customization options.

Both offer Buhlmann with 3 presets and custom GFs. Both offer display of SurfGF. Both track real close to each other. In dives I've done with both, NDL was spot-on. I noticed a momentary difference in SurfGF on one dive, but it was minor, temporary, and could likely be attributed to slight differences between my left and right wrists or a rounding difference.

Screens are both very readable. I think the Garmin is better in direct sunlight, but the Perdix screen is definitely larger.

If I were to have to use just one, discounting the AI functions (which would be available with the MK2i), it'd be a tough choice. I'd be happy with either.

I see your point but as you read, I looked at the total value of the device, how much hw and materials are worth as well as data if you bought such map. For DC functions, arguably, except the entry level ones, most DC in the market will have similar functionality. I can dive with any computer, when I bought descent, I did not even looked at the spec sheet of dive features in details because a I know they will be sufficient. My point is, Teric is not cheap either, just for a dive computer, add material qualities of descent in value on top of Terics price, you will find they are actually both expensive.
I also do not agree with topo maps being not relevant to diving. If you zoom out, you will see where you are in the ocean and you can navigate in the ocean offline where you have no mobile coverage, this is diving feature for me. When I look at the dives I did, they are rarely out in the blue, topo is always involved. If I was lost in the ocean, I can look at it and figure out where to swim ;-).
I see your point too. I'm going to have to re-evaluate using Topo for diving, get even more for my money from the Mk2i:yeahbaby:.

Just giving my two cents here since I recently pulled the trigger on the Mk2i. I had been diving with my Galileo Luna for over 11 years. It always worked fine and still does. I wanted to get a color and easier to read computer since that after 45, eyes started to struggle more.

I really wanted a Perdix but I also had been thinking of buying a smart watch for a while. Then I came across the Garmin. I though that for spending a significant amount of money on a computer, it would be nice to have a device that I could also use when I am not diving. The Mk2 checked all the boxes. That was for the theory and what led me to get one.
Now, after diving a few times with it, I can say that I like it a LOT. Vibrations to alert you is a nice feature. My Luna was beeping a lot and it was really annoying. The display is readable enough, I had no problem. I showed it to @buddhasummer and he also found it quite OK despite being a big fan of the Shearwater computers.

My opinion on this Garmin Mk2 is quite simple. It's the perfect computer for recreational dive and more. Night dives and even some early technical dives can be easily achieved with it. The Garmin is perfect for a Diver like me that enjoys "difficult" or advanced recreational dives like we sometimes do here in our local spot. Maybe the day I start doing serious technical and deep dives, I would maybe get a bigger display Shearwater computer but these days are probably still far ahead...

To conclude, I am very happy with the Garmin. It's a nice, compact Diving computer with a shitload of features, nice connectivity tools with the phone, plenty of customization available to suit your needs and it doubles as a smartwatch with even more features for all your outdoor activities. It's not cheap but it does a lot. If you have the money, just go for it.

The watch is not capable of uploading data directly to Garmin. If you never connect it to a mobile device via Bluetooth, it will never be able to upload your data. I believe it also has an option for wifi but I never turned on wifi for my watch. I don't think it uploads data via wifi anyway.
The watch absolutely can upload (sync) data directly to Garmin via Wi-Fi without going through a smartphone Bluetooth connection. You have to manually add a Wi-Fi network and set Auto Upload to On.
This only works on Wi-Fi networks that support standard authentication. You can't use it on a network that requires signing in through some kind of web page.

Question, i have mk2s which i am very happy with . To my surprise amd disbelief it seems track my heart rate during the dive through my 'drysuit- (thick)undergarment-baselayer'. While on land it doesnt track my heart rate when i test it with just my baselayer amd undergarment? During the dive it also shows realistic numbers, so it seems real numbers (between 50-70bpm mostly).

I noticed it by accident recently when i used a different divescreen which had heart rate in my screen, in my usual setup i dont even had it configured given the layering. And yesterday it first didnt register when i hD my watch angled , but then i moved my watch more on top of my wrist and it started directly to show my rate.

Is water working as a positve conductor somehow or is it making up numbers :D . Cant really believe it can measure through 3 thick layers..

Anyone else experience with this in combination with a drysuit?

I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom