Garmin introduces new smartwatches, no dive one yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oof... expensive...

"Available a few weeks from now, the Garmin Marq smartwatch collection has a retail price of $1,500 USD for the Marq Athlete, $1,750 for the Marq Expedition, $1,850 for the Marq Captain, $1,950 for the Marq Aviator, and $2,500 for the Marq Driver"

Seems like every company under the sun is trying to carve out a "luxury" market, mostly as a way of charging a premium for something. Makes business sense I guess. Question is whether technology products can be "luxury items" on their own or if they just enable something else to be luxury? I would be very dubious of a Luxury sports watch. Adding all the nice materials in the world and making it the most beautiful piece of art ever seen won't make it relevant any longer. A mechanical rolex holds value because the technology does not change all that much; smartwatches will continue to evolve rapidly and thus will not hold value over time.

Unless you just have money to burn or are looking for a quick status symbol item (which are perfectly valid reasons to buy something like this) I can't see it being a worthwhile investment.

Back
Top Bottom