Gas Management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never really learned this stuff until I took a Master Diver course.....although it's all really simple and based on you surface air consumption (SAC) rate. I think it's also covered in a mix-gas blending course that you can take.

To give a short version: You should begin logging your beginning PSI and ending PSI on several dives, along with your average depth and the time of the dive. You'll also need to know the rated capacity and pressure of your tank. To compute your SAC:

Numerator is the PSI used during the dive divided by the rated pressure of the cyclinder times the volume of the cyclinder (gives you cubic feet of air consumed).

Denominator is the dive time and the ATA at average depth (ATA = d/33 + 1)....this brings the consumption 'to the surfce' and turns it into a rate.

Most people have SAC's between 0.5 cubic feet a minute and 1 cubic feet/minute. Why does this matter?

Because you can then compute your air consumption for any depth by simply multiplying it times the time and ATA for the depth you'll be diving. Do this for all depths in a multi-level dive, include the time for deco. stops and a safety stop. Don't forget to include consumption when descending and ascending (use average depth between start and stop depths and calculate time assuming travel at 30' per minute).

You can do this easily in an excel spreadsheet where each row is SAC x ATA (at each depth) x time, to give you air consumed at each depth. Add them up and you've got your expected air consumption.

To be safe you should pad the SAC (mine is about 0.5 but I use 0.75 in calculations), and add a 50% safety margin....you'll find that 80 cubic feet of air doesn't give you much bottom time, which is why you see a lot of deep divers using 'doubles.'

Note that this doesn't do the table work for you; you'll still need to do tables to be sure you are in NDL limits or to know what your decompression stop obligations are. You'll also need to check to be sure that you don't violate the max depth limit for the gas you are breathing, etc.

If you want an "official" course on the subject... find a TDI instructor and take their basic decompression diving class.
You don't have to do any deco-diving if you don't wish to, but you will learn a LOT of things that you can apply to "normal" recreational diving.

http://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/tdihome.html

I'm sure other agencies also offer good classes, TDI is just the one I am familiar with.

I made up a small Excel sheet which I use to simulate gas consumption during a descent, at the bottom, and during ascent with 1 or 2 divers.
This is meant to be an aid for those that know what they are doing - I give no warranty as to its correctness.
In any case each user would have to set his SAC based on experience.

Green fields are input fields and yellow or red fields are results.

The ascent table can be used in 2 different ways: either use the main table and fill in the green parameter fields top left and the green deco stops in the main table or leave the deco stops zeroed in the main table and fill in the deco stops at 3m, 6m and 9m in the auxiliary table top right.

I left this filled in as an example for a dive to 33m with 2mins to descend plus 23mins at the bottom for which I would need 122bar.
Assuming worst case that my buddy's reg failed at the start of ascent I would need 92.5bar to get to the surface after 1min at 6m and 5min at 3m and arrive at the surface with 50bar reserve.

Ie only safe if I start the dive with 122+92=214bar.

My average SAC is 12litres/min, so I use 13 in the table.

It's interesting to play with this table.
The descent rate of 18m/min, ascent rate of 9m/min and stops at 9m, 6m,and 3m follow the CMAS standard.
Obviously using the full table you can put the rates and stops where you want.

Would appreciate letting me know if anybody spots any error - although after some time reading the posts on Scubaboard I am sure many will be more than happy to point them out. :wink:

Ok, this is very helpful. I've logged all of my dives so far, though my record keeping has been rather shoddy in terms of exact numbers. It will at least give me a starting point. I'll work them up a bit over the next few days and maybe post up here with my numbers to see if I'm somewhere in the ballpark.

I appreciate all the help. I'm working hard at trying to be a safer diver, since I've actually gotten my wife to certify now too. I think it's funny how when it's yourself, you tend to not worry about it as much, but when it's your SO, suddenly everything is critically important.

Wijbrandus:
Ok, this is very helpful. I've logged all of my dives so far, though my record keeping has been rather shoddy in terms of exact numbers. It will at least give me a starting point. I'll work them up a bit over the next few days and maybe post up here with my numbers to see if I'm somewhere in the ballpark.

I appreciate all the help. I'm working hard at trying to be a safer diver, since I've actually gotten my wife to certify now too. I think it's funny how when it's yourself, you tend to not worry about it as much, but when it's your SO, suddenly everything is critically important.

If you know of any divers with a technical background, they would be able to take you through the planning process in pretty good detail.

Like Curt Bowen pointed out, it all starts with breathing rate. You first need to compute this based on several dives. The rate will vary, depending on your activity level. The least activity amounts to quietly waiting out your 3+ minute safety stop.

The next issue is tank size. The LP steel 72 or else a steel or alum 80 is the normal benchmark, but depending on your size, from dwarfish to gigantic, you may want a different size tank.

Knowing the above two items allows you to plan how long you can stay in the water and at what various depths.

Normally your turn around point will by decided by your SPG tank pressure, in actuality, no matter what you planned. You can compute this by taking your total tank pressure, subtracting your reserve, halving the remainder, and adding this half to your reserve amount for a total turn-around point.

For example, if my LP steel Faber 72 has 3300 psi when full, then 3300 - 500 psi (for a shallow dive) = 2800 psi.

2800 psi divided by 2 = 1400 psi.

1400 psi + 500 psi = 1900 psi, which becomes my turn-around pressure on my SPG for a relatively shallow dive.

If I were using Rule of Thirds, my turn around pressure would be 1/3 times 3300 subtracted from 3300, which gives 2200 as the turn around point. Pretty close, either way, just that Rule of Thirds is more conservative and easier to compute.

You should monitor your own SPG as well as your buddy's SPG periodically, about every 10 mins. When one of you reaches the SPG turn around point, then its time for both of you to head back, preferably underwater, for a nice long egression, topped off with a 3 to 5 min safety stop, or more, depending on how deep you went.

Here's my spreadsheet for gas management. Actually, just air management, but that's all I dive so far.

The left half is for recording actual dives. If you have a computer that gives you "Average Depth", use that rather than the max depth of a square profile. Even better would be to use the time and pressure change at a known depth.

The right half uses the cumulative SAC (in ft3/min) and the planned depth and time and incorporates ascent rate with a simplistic set of deep stops and a 15ft safety stop. The air-sharing buddy is assumed to have twice the SAC as the donor. The tank type is on the left side, but is used in the planning (right) side.

It may need some tweaking for individual preference (particularly for metric), but it's a good start for me.

-Rob

Help me out guys. I have a 95 ft3 tank. It is rated at 3500 psi. I dove for 71 minutes with an average depth of 41 feet. The tank had 3200 psi at the end and I surfaced with 400.

What is my SAC? I came up with .45 This has got to be wrong. It's too low. If the computation is right then I must have gotten the starting and ending tank pressure wrong.

i believe surface air consumption must be measured at the surface. if you breathe the gas at anything but surface pressure, you throw the whole calculation off.

i guess you could still work the math the way you did it, but that's way beyond me.

Not so Andy ... it's fairly straightforward to calculate SAC if you know your average depth.

SAC = (PSI consumed / bottom time) / (1 ATA + Avg depth/33)

In this case, PSI consumed = 3200-400 = 2800
Bottom time = 71 minutes
Ave depth = 41 fsw

Plug in the numbers ...

2800/71 = 39.43
----------------- = 17.8 psi per minute on that cylinder
1 + 41/33 = 2.24

To convert to CFM ... which is RMV (respiratory minute volume)

SAC / (working pressure of cylinder / volume of cylinder)

17.8 / (3500/95) = 0.48 CFM

Anybody care to check my math? I don't have a calculator handy ....

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Paul P:
Help me out guys. I have a 95 ft3 tank. It is rated at 3500 psi. I dove for 71 minutes with an average depth of 41 feet. The tank had 3200 psi at the end and I surfaced with 400.

What is my SAC? I came up with .45 This has got to be wrong. It's too low. If the computation is right then I must have gotten the starting and ending tank pressure wrong.

That sounds pretty close to me, based on my understanding of the calculations. I made my own spreadsheet for calculating SAC a few months ago. When I plugged in your numbers, it came up with a SAC of 0.48. Why do you think 0.45 is too low?

Back
Top Bottom