Gauge Mode on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the purpose of setting your computer for Gauge Mode?.. When would you do this? Thanks..

My computer changes into gauge mode upon entering violation mode. IE if you are deeper then the computer supports so it can no longer calculate the depth and or decompression limits.

Thats all I know on the subject :wink:

Brandon Belew:
My computer changes into gauge mode upon entering violation mode. IE if you are deeper then the computer supports so it can no longer calculate the depth and or decompression limits.

Thats all I know on the subject :wink:

But I also see that you can set the dive computer to Gauge Mode.... I would like to know the purpose...

Brandon, thanks for finding this thread... I tried.... but you have the magic touch. X-man, When you say "Bending" them do mean locking them out at the surface?

I use the gauge mode in mine to tell me the depth and time. That way the DC doesn't run my tables for me.

lonestardiver:
Brandon, thanks for finding this thread... I tried.... but you have the magic touch. X-man, When you say "Bending" them do mean locking them out at the surface?

Locking them out on the surface or during the dive, and having them beep and otherwise warn you about stuff that is irrelevant as you have already planned for it.

It will adversely affect subsequent dives with the computer if you "bend it"

goodeatsfan:
I use the gauge mode in mine to tell me the depth and time. That way the DC doesn't run my tables for me.

Wouldn't a bottom timer have been cheaper/more appropriate if you never want to use the actual computer functions?

Xman:
Wouldn't a bottom timer have been cheaper/more appropriate if you never want to use the actual computer functions?

There are a few reasons for this.

1) Bought the computer when you wanted the full features

2) Use the computer as a computer for pure rec diving, use it as a BT on other dives

3) The display on the computer was superior for you than that of a straight bottom timer. (think bigger numbers)

Me, when I used my old 'puck' computer, I had to bend it to make it a BT - no user selectable mode. For my old 'puck', a trip to 170' followed by O2 deco did a good job bending it (but not me). I have since moved on to a 'puter that understands all of my dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom