Gauge Mode on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gauge mode on mine when doing deco dives.

It gives me depth, time, ascent rate, temperature and importantly, logs the dives but wont bend itself when i switch gases during ascent and so on.

No planned deco dives i use it on full computer mode.

in_cavediver:
There are a few reasons for this.

1) Bought the computer when you wanted the full features

2) Use the computer as a computer for pure rec diving, use it as a BT on other dives

3) The display on the computer was superior for you than that of a straight bottom timer. (think bigger numbers)

Me, when I used my old 'puck' computer, I had to bend it to make it a BT - no user selectable mode. For my old 'puck', a trip to 170' followed by O2 deco did a good job bending it (but not me). I have since moved on to a 'puter that understands all of my dives.

I add to this list:

4. Wanted to download profiles

Bend my computer? Never done that fortunately.

My computer (Nitek Duo), which I use for rec/no decompression dives instantly converts into a second bottom timer for tec/decompression dives. For these multiple gas dives, I cut tables (print them from my computer and laminate them) and use bottom timers to follow my dive plan. As mentioned, it does allow me to download my dive profile (though I've never done it), and gives a nice, clear easy to read screen.

If your plans down the road might include such dives, you may wish to consider getting a computer that you can put into gauge mode. Cheers!

lonestardiver:
What is the purpose of setting your computer for Gauge Mode?.. When would you do this? Thanks..

I don't particularly like the algorithm my computer runs, however I like the user changeable batteries, the display and the download functionality.

Xman:
Wouldn't a bottom timer have been cheaper/more appropriate if you never want to use the actual computer functions?

My wrist mounted nitrox computer cost less than the Uwatec DBT.

Blackwood:
I don't particularly like the algorithm my computer runs, however I like the user changeable batteries, the display and the download functionality.

My wrist mounted nitrox computer cost less than the Uwatec DBT.

Fair enough then. All of the reasons given by above posters seem entirely sensible. I was just wondering. Certainly the download ability makes a lot of sense, as do the user replaceable batteries, and in your case cost.

My computer has a gauge mode for the same reasons stated above (using tables and you just want to track depth and dive time). The only catch on mine to watch out for is once used in gauge mode it can't be returned to "dive computer" mode for 24 hours as a safety feature.

Back
Top Bottom