Gauges for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you like that mini-shadow, Scott? I have the regular one; couldn't find a mini for comparison.

boomx5 once bubbled...
SPG- Dive Rite

Bottom Timer- Suunto D3

Mask(s)- Cressi Sky/ Oceanic Mini Shadow as back-up

Compass- Suunto SK6 ( I like the low profile that it has)

If you use the small Suunto's for bottom timers, make sure you use a backup.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

Why?

The trasnsducer has a tendency to mess up and it will indicate the wrong depth. It happened twice to my stinger, twice to a friends stinger, once to another guys stinger whom I know, to a buddy's D3 etc.

I haven't had any problems with the "big" Suunto's, nor have I heard of many (I know of one, but it wasn't a transducer problem).

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

What should I get for a back-up? I would like something thats reliable and downloadable. I know the Uwatec's are supposed to be good, but I don't think they are downloadable. What do you recommend?

boomx5 once bubbled...

What should I get for a back-up? I would like something thats reliable and downloadable. I know the Uwatec's are supposed to be good, but I don't think they are downloadable. What do you recommend?

The large Suunto's are nice, for a long time I used a Vyper and never had any problems nor did any of my friends. I got into serious trouble when I switched to a stinger and it decided to indicate the wrong depth. I then found out that this was a relatively common problem.

I head that GI is now using an Oceanic pro something. I haven't checked it out yet, but it might be worth a look. It is downloadable and the display is supposed to be very nice.

boomx5 once bubbled...
I just wonder how good the gauge mode is?
Since that's the only mode he uses, I would assume pretty good.
His complaint was the same as others... Vyper too hard to read and the Uwatec doesn't download. I think there's also a depth issue with the Uwatec... I recall that it craps out around 328 or so. That would explain why he wouldn't stick with that and keep the Vyper in a pocket to DL profiles.

The VEO 200 can do gauge mode to 400ft.
The VT Pro is similar but has hoseless AI.
Both can log 24 dives.

VEO 200 wrist mount is only $224 at Leisure Pro.

Looks like Suunto has some serious competition.

boomx5 once bubbled...
Unless you're planning dives beyond 300ft (how deep is the Tahoe?), you might want to consider the Uwatec on the wrist and clip the D3 off in a pocket for downloading profiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom