gauges or computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also a newbie and trying to plan the right starting configuration for my equipment. One of my starting assumptions is that it's a good idea to have a backup timing device since batteries die, computers crash and the like. So I was thinking of getting a console with SPG, compass & computer built in and also wearing a regular watch on my wrist for backup timing. Seems to me that as long as you have a dangling console with an SPG, how much worse is it to have compass and computer on there too (assuming one can't afford a single wrist-mounted device with radio link for pressure)? That leaves your wrist free for a watch. Thoughts?

thanks,
Michael

I would highly recommend that you buy the console now and put your money into a quality regulator that will last you for many many years. You can always add the computer at a later date after your bank account has recovered, but you can't easily upgrade your regulator. Also, as several have already mentioned, having both the spg and depth gauge makes a nice backup to the computer.

Get your reg/octo from your LDS. A quality reg does not have to cost you an arm and leg, as a new diver you will not need a high end setup. But do purchase a reliable name brand reg. Look into online retailers, that's where you save on the computer. You should be able to find a decent console/computer for half the retail price. The warranty you ask? The warranty on most computers is one year, some give you two.

Check E-bay, like other computers, they become dinosaurs within a week or two. Having said that, I have an Oceanic data pro from 99 that has given me great servie, with nothing more than a battery change.

I really like my Oceanic Data Plus 2. It's pretty full featured and includes nitrox capability. However, you can't buy them any more. You can however get the lower cost one button version the Oceanic Data Plus. I've used that as well and think it's a pretty nice computer for the money.

IMHO

I'd buy a decent regulator/octopus and some analogue gauges first and move on to a computer at a later date. A decent depth/pressure combo will set you back £100/$160 in the UK. A reasonable computer is getting on for double that.

Make sure you know how to use the tables and fully understand the implications of the decisions you are making regarding depth, dive duration and multiple dives in your dive plan before you even consider using a computer. Plan the dives - dive the plans.

Now that I use a computer (which I bought at the beginning of this year) I have noticed that my dive buddies and I, when diving familiar sites, tend to turn up, go down and only come up when the computer tells us to. That is to say the computer is making my decisions for me. I have become lazier and I think my diving is suffering as a result.

Doing it the old fashioned way helps to keep your brain more active and familiar with the tables etc. which can only be a good thing in the unfortunate event that something goes wrong.

As for which reg to buy???

Check elsewhere on this board, look at back issues of magazines (particularly British ones like Diver who are free to voice an opinion without the fear of being sued by the manufacturer or its agents) ask everyone you know, try as many as you can. Then, and only then, hand over your hard earned cash.

Best of luck

Hello,

I also have a computer and while I am not sure it has actually hurt my diving in any way, to be honest - I don't really see a need for a computer anymore. The most useful feature that computers provide are extremely accurate timings of your dives. Knowning exactly how much time you spent at depth (and what your max depth is) and exactly how much time you have been on surface interval is really all you need.

To this end - I am moving to an OMS bottom timer. For the price of one computer I can buy redundant bottom timers.

Parrotthead once bubbled...
I am in the process of completing my equipment, i have everything but regs and computer/guages. I am really comfortable using the guages and i have only used a computer once (aeris atomos 2), the computer was nice but im kind of on a budget. Is it worth waiting a little for the computer until i can truly afford it or should as a beginner just go with the 3 guage console? again i am really comfortable with the console, and using the computer was no big advantage, but i love diving and i think for the future as dives become more and more complex the comp. might do me good. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Parrotthead,

Here's A Place Online That You Can Look At. The WebSite Is www.leisurepro.com . :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom