Gavin "Mini Me" vs. X-Scooter Sierra (standard).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, I realise that this is a topic that, unfortunately, can get ugly very quickly due to the "politics." Mod(s), please feel free to delete this thread if it gets out of hand.

I am basically looking for informed, hopefully unbiased, opinion(s)...

I (and some friends) are hoping to purchase some scooters (and will receive proper training) in the near future. Most of our dives are shallow recreational dives in salt water but we occasionally dive shallow wrecks (approx. 30m depth) where conditions can be rather unpredictable. I recently completed Tech 1 and hope to use the scooter on some deeper salt water dives (40-50m) in the future. With size and weight being big considerations, I have looked at (and tried once) the X-Scooter. I don't know anyone who owns a short/standard body Gavin so unfortunately am not able to compare the two.

Gavin vs. X-Scooter: if anyone have used both in open (salt) water situations, what would be your reason(s) for picking one over the other?

The X-Scooter is light, compact and easy to carry for overseas travel with better maneuverability than either the Gavin or the SS (standard body that is --don't know about the mini-G's). Where it falls short is in towing another diver in a contingency situation, especially a heavily laden Tech Diver. Throw in an opposing current and you're barely making any headway if at all (the Gavin/SS I'm told can manage better because of its higher torque performance). Dave Ross at Tech Asia in Puerto Galera has both X-Scooter & Gavin models to try out, and maybe Gideon Liew in Singapore has them too as well. . .

Vie,

I just got back from a trip where we had 2 gavin's and 2 x scooters doing some South China Sea wrecks. The X-scooters did indeed look good and were nice and compact. They were literally brand spanking new when they brought them aboard so I can't comment on its durability/ reliability vs the Gavin. If your plans involve traveling, I can see the x-scooter being a better choice. The Gavin in a Pelican case was massive (but it would be easier to source bike batteries to use). The xscooter uses a smaller NIMH battery. The Gavin's did a good job on towing an xtra diver down the line when we faced some currents (1.0-1.5 knot guestimate?). The xscooters didn't get a chance to tow anyone. The owners of the xscooters were pretty happy with their purchase and have had previous experience using gavins.

oh btw, congrats on passing Tech 1!

Vie:
Gavin vs. X-Scooter: if anyone have used both in open (salt) water situations, what would be your reason(s) for picking one over the other?
I owned a Gavin (short and standard body)...and after I tried an X, my Gavin was up for sale a week later.

So reasons...Weight...handle would be the two big ones. The Mini Gavin solves one of those problems, but the other is still there.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, guys.

pakman:
oh btw, congrats on passing Tech 1!

Thanks, Pakman. To be honest, even though I passed I feel like I barely scraped by. It was a great (and very humbling) class - I struggled quite a bit initially due to my inexperience with doubles. Luckily my teammate, Greg, helped me a lot.

Ben_ca:
Vie,
Congrats on Tech 1... Did I miss the class report? :)

I second that, would love to hear about it if you have time to write something up.

Ben_ca:
Congrats on Tech 1... Did I miss the class report? :)

Thanks. No, main reason for lack of class report is that I've been/I am too lazy :D - also my notes are scattered and my Aladin Tec died (so I've lost the detailed dive info of all the training dives).

Ok, since I'm here I might as well ask more dumb questions...

Gavins: what is/are the difference(s) between the 'Standard" and "tapered HDPE" versions?

X-Scooters: Wasn't there a short version called the Echo? I can no longer find it on the website.

Are the Mini-Gs and X-Scooter Echo designed for recreational type dives? Is using a standard Gavin or X-Scooter Sierra overkill for the kind of diving I described in post #1?

Vie:
X-Scooters: Wasn't there a short version called the Echo? I can no longer find it on the website.
The echo was replaced by the Sierra. They are the same size, only the throttle method is different. An Echo can be upgraded to a Sierra.

Vie:
Are the Mini-Gs and X-Scooter Echo designed for recreational type dives?
No. They are perfect fits for technical boat diving. Their light weight makes them perfect for that. Mako's are good for recreational type dives.

Vie:
Is using a standard Gavin or X-Scooter Sierra overkill for the kind of diving I described in post #1?
No.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom