Gavin "Mini Me" vs. X-Scooter Sierra (standard).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo:
The X-Scooter is light, compact and easy to carry for overseas travel with better maneuverability than either the Gavin or the SS (standard body that is --don't know about the mini-G's). Where it falls short is in towing another diver in a contingency situation, especially a heavily laden Tech Diver.
Never had that problem and neither have any of my buddies. (and they have owned all 3 of the major scooters. SS, Gavins and finally X's)

Jeff, thanks so much for answering my questions.

Ben, thanks for the link - yeah, unfortunately nagonoj and I have already tried an X-Scooter and we are craving more.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1223774#post1223774

Interestingly, I've just noticed that Gareth (Gareth Ingham on SB), who was observing the Fundies class, tried the X but his team (Dive Frontier Australia) use Mini-Gs.

http://www.divefrontier.com/

Kevrumbo:
The X-Scooter is light, compact and easy to carry for overseas travel with better maneuverability than either the Gavin or the SS (standard body that is --don't know about the mini-G's). Where it falls short is in towing another diver in a contingency situation, especially a heavily laden Tech Diver. Throw in an opposing current and you're barely making any headway if at all (the Gavin/SS I'm told can manage better because of its higher torque performance). Dave Ross at Tech Asia in Puerto Galera has both X-Scooter & Gavin models to try out, and maybe Gideon Liew in Singapore has them too as well. . .

JeffG:
Never had that problem and neither have any of my buddies. (and they have owned all 3 of the major scooters. SS, Gavins and finally X's)
Sorry JeffG, but I observed the problem first hand in ripping current on the Battlecruiser Wreck HMS Repulse in the South China Sea three weeks ago. Two fully laden Tech Divers with Stage and Deco Bottles both being towed by an X-Scooter attempting to descend and find the Wreck site at 170'. They got blown away, lost sight of the reference line in murky water leading to the Wreck and had to abort. They claim if they had the Gavin towing them, they would've been able to maintain close visual contact with the reference line and found the Wreck.

Kevrumbo:
Sorry JeffG, but I observed the problem first hand in ripping current on the Battlecruiser Wreck HMS Repulse in the South China Sea three weeks ago. Two fully laden Tech Divers with Stage and Deco Bottles both being towed by an X-Scooter attempting to descend and find the Wreck site at 170'. They got blown away, lost sight of the reference line in murky water leading to the Wreck and had to abort. They claim if they had the Gavin towing them, they would've been able to maintain close visual contact with the reference line and found the Wreck.

On our trip (same sites that Kevrumbo did but different dates), the currents weren't so bad that any of us were blown away. The Gavin owners had to tow their buddies down on a couple dives where we encountered currents. With the same setups as Kev described above (twins, 11l deco tanks), they made it but according them, the towee had to fin gently occasionally to make head way against the current. Anyways, sure beat pulling yourself down the line hand over hand in currents and burning precious trimix back gas... :wink: I should also mention the Gavin owners were fairly large Westerners whereas the x-scooterers were relatively small Singaporeans...

Vie - go for it, if you can afford one!! can't have enough diving toys!

What is the thrust on a Gavin? What is the thrust on the X? Once you look those numbers up, you might want to revise this story.

Kevrumbo:

Hi Vie
If you end up going with the Xscooter, you might want to check with Tobin (DSS) before you get the batteries. Some time ago, he told me that he had plans to make some batteries for those with like twice the duration of the OEM units.

Kevrumbo:
The X-Scooter is light, compact and easy to carry for overseas travel with better maneuverability than either the Gavin or the SS (standard body that is --don't know about the mini-G's). Where it falls short is in towing another diver in a contingency situation, especially a heavily laden Tech Diver. Throw in an opposing current and you're barely making any headway if at all (the Gavin/SS I'm told can manage better because of its higher torque performance). Dave Ross at Tech Asia in Puerto Galera has both X-Scooter & Gavin models to try out, and maybe Gideon Liew in Singapore has them too as well. . .

Hi Kevin,

I have a Echo, as do two of my buddies. So far we have mostly done easy shore dives, to get some experience. On these dives scooter failure just means swimming back to the beach.

I've equipped my scooter with a Li-Ion battery that provides 2.2 times the runtime of the stock NiMh pack, the other two have not.

This means I routinely get to tow one or both of my buddies back to the entry when they run out of battery.

We are all in doubles. Towing one works pretty well. Towing two is a chore for the pilot, and makes for pretty slow going.

Tobin

Kevrumbo:
Claim...High science.

Anyways, IMO the difference between the scooters are small in comparison between the technique/profile of a diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom