Gavin "Mini Me" vs. X-Scooter Sierra (standard).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca:
So do we have anyone here who actually owns a gavin mini? or at least know one? I know there's lot of full sized Gavins out there but what about the minis?

I know of a few people who own mini-G's: Christos has two of 'em, Alex Mendez at www.the-scuba-shop.com has sold a few and has a few more coming in. A very good customer of his sold his original Gavin for an X, and has now just sold the X for a mini-G. From Alex' experience the mini-G had more torque than the X, and it does have slightly more burntime. OTOH, it's also a bit heavier so it exceeds airline weight regulations (which I personally think is the absolute beauty of the X for people like myself who travel often).

David

Some buds and I just got back from six days of X scootering in Cozumel under a variety of conditions. I never ran into a current the X would not go forward in although at times it was a slow go particuliarly in a strong blow at Barracuda. Sure you could always use more power in principle, but in practice the x has plenty. Scootering technique is huge in getting good power. Several of my buds were faster than me no matter what scooters we were using.

Maintenance problems on six scooters for six days were minimal to non existent. Honestly the x exceeded my expectations in this regard. This is a real big deal to me.

Ditto on the travel weight. The attendant told us we had to 70 lbs or under or they simply wouldnt take it on an international flight. The weight is a big issue for me in general especially in doubles and I wouldnt want anything heavier.

Good luck in your decision.

Brian Gilpin:
Some buds and I just got back from six days of X scootering in Cozumel under a variety of conditions. I never ran into a current the X would not go forward in although at times it was a slow go particuliarly in a strong blow at Barracuda. Sure you could always use more power in principle, but in practice the x has plenty. Scootering technique is huge in getting good power. Several of my buds were faster than me no matter what scooters we were using.

Maintenance problems on six scooters for six days were minimal to non existent. Honestly the x exceeded my expectations in this regard. This is a real big deal to me.

Ditto on the travel weight. The attendant told us we had to 70 lbs or under or they simply wouldnt take it on an international flight. The weight is a big issue for me in general especially in doubles and I wouldnt want anything heavier.

Good luck in your decision.
Was the Airline Continental? I was told that they have a total embargo on any piece of checked luggage over 70lbs on International Flights.
My X-Scooter in its luggage case, together with a trans-fill whip, stage/deco bottle kits and gas analyzer weighed in at over 80lbs. My Dive Gear bag, with five sets of Regulators, Aluminum BP with Single & Doubles Wings etc. tipped the scales at 95lbs. Singapore Airlines was gracious enough just to charge me $150 USD for overweight baggage only on the return Trip from Phuket back home to Los Angeles. . .
Anyway, the X sure beats schlepping a Gavin or an SS Scooter all over SE Asia!

Kevrumbo:
Was the Airline Continental? I was told that they have a total embargo on any piece of checked luggage over 70lbs on International Flights.
My X-Scooter in its luggage case, together with a trans-fill whip, stage/deco bottle kits and gas analyzer weighed in at over 80lbs. My Dive Gear bag, with five sets of Regulators, Aluminum BP with Single & Doubles Wings etc. tipped the scales at 95lbs. Singapore Airlines was gracious enough just to charge me $150 USD for overweight baggage only on the return Trip from Phuket back home to Los Angeles. . .
Anyway, the X sure beats schlepping a Gavin or an SS Scooter all over SE Asia!
I have found that a very scientific packing system is the only way to make this work with no surcharges. I can fit my scooter nose with one battery in my pelican 1650 along with my fins, al bp, etc. and come in under 70#. I then carry on the tail section, another battery, lights, etc. (whatever I can fit) and can work it with no charges. That being said, I am not bringing transfill whips, analyzers, etc. When flying with stuff like this I get DEPP or DAN coverage before I go (you could also maintain it annually, but I don't fly with this much gear on a regular basis) since airlines have a bad habit of not paying you when things are lost, stolen, or damaged.

Ben_ca:
All that gear and let's see.... 2 trunks, 2 shirts and a toothbrush :)
Yep Ben, that's about all I had for personal belongings, clothing and toiletries . . .had a great time on the Wreck Expedition out of Singapore, and on a Similan Island Liveaboard in Southern Thailand. X-Scooter is light & easy to travel with --got a lot of envious looks both in and out of the water (including the Gavin/SS guys). M/V Empress Liveaboard has the best platform and support for Deep Mixed Gas/Deco Wreck Diving in all of SE Asia: http://www.mvempress.com/

Sorry to resurrect this thread...

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Submerge N-19 Saltwater? Better yet, has anyone had the chance to compare the N-19 with the X-Scooter and/or Mini G?

I finally had a chance to try an X-Scooter Sierra (standard body) and a Gavin 26 yesterday. Special thanks to JPW for kindly showing me the ropes and letting me use both.

I was very impressed with the stability of the Gavin but the size and weight of the X fits my diving situation/needs better. If anyone know of a Mini G or N-19 in Thailand, please let me know!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom