GBR outer reef worth while?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trueog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey sorry this is my first time posting.

Im just wondering the outter reef is worth going to if you can't do cod hole or riboon reef area. I know this is very personally specific but I can't afford the other liveaboards.

I'm a DM and have done a fair bit of diving SE Asia including working in Malaysia at Sipidan. I'm not trying to sound spoiled. Im just wondwring if it is worth the little money I do have on diving the outter reef on a cheaper livaboard.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

Am biased 'cos I live and work here :) but yes it is.

Lots of good sites and depends what you comapre it to. Have done better sites over seas in some places but never with as much varied sea life. Cod Hole and Ribbons are by far the best I have done and I have worked and dived all around the world, but if you cant go there then there are some 2 or 3 day options. See here for Cairns options

Kangaroo Explorer is the budget boat for these trips and has some good sites. Taka and Scubapro better though, but bit more expensive. Last 2 get one more dive and boat more confortable, but its no big deal.

I do wish I could afford to dive cod hole and ribbon reef. Maybe next time aaround. Thanks for the advice.

As a DM, are you in a position to work for two weeks as a volunteer with Mike Ball?

With Mike Ball, Kangaroo and Taka you could apply as a Hostie.

Hi there...

Would you consider a Cod Hole trip better than Coral Sea (North Horn)? Will be doing a trip in Mid Sep and considering between a Coral Sea or Cod Hole package..

I second the idea of volunteering as a "hostie on Mike Balls Spoilsport. One of the things I loved was that even if I was the only one wanting to do a night dive or something I always was able to get one of the staff to dive with me. They really went out of their way to have hosts for every small group of divers. Or individuals in a couple of occasions. Cod hole is very interesting and I loved the ribbon reefs but the whole week would be much nicer, including the run out to Osprey reef. A possible downside is I didn't see the crew's quarters so I can't vouch for those accommodations.

Back
Top Bottom