GC Feed the Fish ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueSea45305

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
While diving in St. Thomas the LDS suggested we purchase fish food bisquits. Although they looked like hard dog bones in the shop, at 50ft when pulled from the bag they looked like a cloud of fish food particles. Needless to say, I was immediately engolfed in fish, so much so that they actually started to knock off my mask and get tangeled up in my hoses. That was 2 yrs ago, now were going to Grand Caymans. Is feeding fish legal in the Cayman's and if so what kind of food would you suggest? The St. Thomas adventure was great for my friends photo shoot but for me it wasn't that pleasant. Also while we were there one of the underwater marine divers got her finger bit off by a baracuda while she was feeding other fish. How dangerous is it to go underwater and feed the fish? I'm aware of stingray city so its mostly the reef dives im curious of. I wouldn't want to walk into a dog store wearing a steak around my neck, is feeding fish underwater the same thing?

It is legal to feed most any fish except sharks. It is an offense to feed, attempt to feed, or attempt to attract sharks by feeding fish here.

(It's law law folks. Like it or hate it, respect your dive operator for obeying it.)

Some dive shops sell small packets of fish food, but a bag of frozen peas works pretty well too.

At Stingray City, your dive or snorkel operator will provide the food, often squid or ballyhoo.

Bring a baggie of dog food and only bring a little with you when you go down. Trust me there will be plenty of feeding going on with just a little dog food.

just one thought, be considerate of others when you initiate the "Fish Mob Mad Rush for the Food."

we had a (clearly inexperienced) diver loose control when she found herself caught in
someone else's feeding frenzy. it can get ugly.

DeepBlueSea45305:
Hello,
While diving in St. Thomas the LDS suggested we purchase fish food bisquits. Although they looked like hard dog bones in the shop, at 50ft when pulled from the bag they looked like a cloud of fish food particles. Needless to say, I was immediately engolfed in fish, so much so that they actually started to knock off my mask and get tangeled up in my hoses. That was 2 yrs ago, now were going to Grand Caymans. Is feeding fish legal in the Cayman's and if so what kind of food would you suggest? The St. Thomas adventure was great for my friends photo shoot but for me it wasn't that pleasant. Also while we were there one of the underwater marine divers got her finger bit off by a baracuda while she was feeding other fish. How dangerous is it to go underwater and feed the fish? I'm aware of stingray city so its mostly the reef dives im curious of. I wouldn't want to walk into a dog store wearing a steak around my neck, is feeding fish underwater the same thing?

Why feed the fish at all?
OK, at stingray city it is accepted practice but although it is not law our local Department of Environment does frown upon fish feeding of all types.

You have obviously had bad experiences feeding fish in the past so why are you even considering it now? Glutton for punishment or what?

Believe me, you will see plenty of fish up close without having to ruin their diets, behaviour or health (and you won't have to worry about being bitten).

Just my opinion, happy diving and hang on to your fingers!
CJ

yes, i would agree... why feed them? just look at them and enjoy!

Good Point CJ. I guess from reading my own post it did seem like i wanted to feed them again. That wasn't the way it was suppose to read. You are right, my last fish feeding went bad and i can see it going that way again as soon as you pull food out of your bad. I don't think there will be any feeding going on or if there is it want be because i braught the food. I was just curious about what the norm is for the Caymans. As i said the fish food was suggested to me by the dive shop. I guess they was just trying to make a sale or either they were trying to mess with me. Anyhow, thanks for all your input.

Just place some dog food in your buddy's bc pocket (without their knowledge) You will have a show within itself.

Don't do to a newbie..............

Phaethon:
There was a doco here that told the tale of a woman who relocated to Caymans and took a visiting friend to Sting Ray City. She rubbed suruptitiously a little squid oil, I think they called it, on friend's back and when she hit the water the rays went mad and mobbed her. Of course that was a relatively safe environment in waist deep water. 8^)

K.

My mind boggles over the sight of rays stacking up on the lady's back, her getting covered in hickies. :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom