Gear Advice for Novice Divers From Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found this thread today while researching whether or not the redundancy of dive computer and gauge console is something that a new diver should consider. @MargaritaMike and @stuartv you both make great arguments. Would it make sense to have a dive computer and mechanical watch and gauge console for a newbie or just have a cheaper redundant second dive computer (or is this kind of redundancy overkill?)

(For what it's worth, as a newbie, my plan is still to concentrate on "planning my dive and diving my plan," so I should be starting each dive with table knowledge in mind and not relying solely on my computer.)

I agree with @rongoodman. I wouldn't buy a watch or gauge console.

I think it's fine to start with just one computer. The addition of a second computer is up to your personal values. When is the cost of a second computer worth it (to you) vs the "cost" of missing some dives?

If you are just diving in the lake in your back yard, it's probably not a big deal at all if your computer dies and that means you are done diving for the day (or week). But, if you have spent $2000 to be somewhere to dive for a week, THEN the possibility of missing the rest of a day's dives might make it worth it (to you) to ante up for a second computer before you go.

Unless you're solo diving, your buddy is your redundancy.

True, but I think that train of thought can possibly be taken too far.

Your buddy can be your backup for ending your dive and getting out. Your buddy is not a suitable backup for the purpose of doing the rest of the day's dives. In other words, if you computer dies on Dive 1 of the day, you can stick with your buddy and follow what his computer says during your exit and ascent. But, you should not do a SI and get in for Dive 2 with the idea that you're going to stay right with your buddy and continue to follow his computer.

Thanks for the info @Bierstadt. Quick question for you, based on your response: Are you using an air-integrated computer? This seems to be the way to go, but would mean not having a port for an stand-alone SPG. (My LDS recommends an hose-AI computer and a mini SPG screwed directly into the first stage without a hose so that, if the computer fails, at least your buddy can read your tank pressure.) Thoughts on going this route, or better to have a hose SPG and non-AI computer?

If you want to have AI plus a physical SPG, then you connect the SPG instead of using a button gauge. A button gauge (aka mini SPG) on your 1st stage is just something you might do INSTEAD of having a normal physical SPG.

I only use AI. I have a button gauge on my recreational single tank 1st stage, so I can sanity check tank pressure when I put the reg on, without having to turn on my computer. However, I used to also have them on my doubles regs and I took them off. It was pointed out to me that they were a (very tiny) entanglement hazard, which really served no purpose. I.e. I don't use them during a dive, ever (since I can't even see them), so they shouldn't be there.

Now, I'm really debating to take the one off my single tank reg set, too. I have realized that the purpose is to save me having to turn on my computer to check the tank pressure. But, now I'm thinking that is kind of backwards. Whenever I assemble my rig, I really SHOULD turn on my computer to check the pressure. That way I know that the tank pressure is good AND I know that my AI is working properly.

If I'm not actually getting ready to dive and my only purpose is to verify tank pressure (say, because I'm about to load up to go to a dive site), I don't need to put my reg on. I have a separate tank pressure gauge to use for that. So, uuuh, yeah! I think I will go ahead and ditch the last of my button gauges (except for use on deco cylinders). :D

If you us a set up like this, you (and divers who use this shop) will be the only person on a charter diving with a mini SPG on your 1st stage.

If your spg fails you abort the dive...

Well... I have been diving with mine like that for a while. And we don't go to the same shop... :D

Thanks for the info @Bierstadt. Quick question for you, based on your response: Are you using an air-integrated computer? This seems to be the way to go, but would mean not having a port for an stand-alone SPG. (My LDS recommends an hose-AI computer and a mini SPG screwed directly into the first stage without a hose so that, if the computer fails, at least your buddy can read your tank pressure.) Thoughts on going this route, or better to have a hose SPG and non-AI computer?
Stay away from mini-spgs. I was looking into them and found they fail at a significantly higher rate than normal spgs. The conventional spg is a necessity; air integration is a neat, nice-to-have luxury. If I wanted air integration I would get a wireless transmitter to go with a suitable dive computer. But like I said, it's a luxury. Spg checks are a good habit to have anyway. That's my two cents.

Stay away from mini-spgs. I was looking into them and found they fail at a significantly higher rate than normal spgs. The conventional spg is a necessity; air integration is a neat, nice-to-have luxury. If I wanted air integration I would get a wireless transmitter to go with a suitable dive computer. But like I said, it's a luxury. Spg checks are a good habit to have anyway. That's my two cents.

The ones that DGX sells have been very good for me. They are metal and heavy. But, there does seem to be a lot of cheap, crappy ones out there.

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

This is fabulous advice, you guys! Thank you so much. It gives me quite a bit to think about (and reinforces my current attitudes ... though, I wouldn't be opposed to the cognitive dissonance of someone trying to change my mind). Thanks! :-D

Not being facetious at all... but why?

I put it on there so that when I put my rig together I can check my tank pressure without having to get my Perdix AI out and turn it on. Also, when I do turn the AI computer on, I can compare the two as a sanity check.

The button gauge is not so precise that I could tell the difference between having 2950 psi and, say 2750 (though I might, actually). But, it's precise enough that I could tell if I had 2500 when I'm supposed to have 3000.

So, I put on the reg, turn the gas on, and look at the button gauge. If it says 3000 (or 3500, depending on the tank) or close, then I know I'm good. Often that means that I then turn the gas back off, finish setting up my rig, and bungee it in place for the boat ride out to the dive site. If I need a more accurate reading, then I can turn on my computer to check what the AI says. Or just use my pressure checker.

All that said, as I said in my previous post, I think I will actually take it off. Solely for the reason that it will force me to turn on my AI computer to check the pressure, which in turn will ensure that not only is my tank full but my AI is working.

Just to be clear, I think there are pros and cons to AI with a button gauge. I think it's really down to personal preference. EDIT: Just make sure if you use a button gauge, it is one of good quality.

The one configuration I would actually argue against is using AI AND an actual SPG. To me, that is more potential for a dive-ending failure with no significant benefit. Pick one or the other. AI or an SPG. Just not both.

@stuartv, ok i get it... have you see another diver run the same set-up? Again, just curious, not trolling...

Your computer doesn't show the dive time?

It shows NDL time in whole minutes, and can trigger safety stop flag depending on profile between 10-20 feet. The remaining time on the stop is counted down in whole minutes. It’s easier for me to coordinate with partner with stopwatch, which I start when we both get to agreed upon depth.

Back
Top Bottom