Gear Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gman0520

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent gear bag? The one I have is basically a large snorkle gear bag. I need something that I can pretty much get everything into. Prefer one with wheels and handle.

My gear:

Dive Rite Transpac II
Scubapro Twin Jets

and the usual extras, computer, mask, snorkel, save a dive kit, etc.

Thanks.

You want something that doesn't scream "I'm scuba gear, steal me". I have a very large Scubapro bag that holds everything, has wheels and a handle, backpack straps, you name it. Once its loaded you can't move the sucker, but its nice. I also took a magic marker and went over all the logo stuff in black.

The pelicans are very nice but very heavy. I have seen some of the airlines changing their baggage weights from 70# to 50# with a high surcharge for exceeding that limit. That would probably be my first consideration with getting a new bag. Also, make sure the wheels are far apart as it will just tip over if they aren't. If you forget the dive part, and think "luggage" just go to a luggage store and look around. That's probably your best bet.

Phil

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

Pretty cool though just to have one in the back of your SUV.

Especially if you have a red blinking light that says ARMED :boom: :boom: :boom:

"Fraid mine is tupperware and minivan. The trunk on the Eldorado is too small :D

Phil

After a lot of experimenting I now use a rubermaid tub, if I'm carrying my gear locally, keeps it all together, and stops salt water dripping all over the back of my truck when I'm going home.

The one time I've travelled with my gear I put it into a hard samsonite suitcase, it all fitted fine and was well protected. And I doubt anyone would have guessed "Dive Gear" looking at the outside.

You may soon have to pay a surcharge if it is too heavy. At present, most airlines have a 70 lb max weight before a surcharge kicks in. No problem staying under that with a Pelican 1650 and a full set of gear. But........more airlines are contemplating ( and some are now applying) a maximum weight of 50 lbs with a surcharge kicking in after that weight. No more Pelican 1650 with a full set of gear without a surcharge!

rgds: jbm

Advantages? They are available at almost any Army/Navy surplus store. They hold tons of gear, are durable and cheap. You also can avoid having everybody knowing that you have loads of expensive dive gear inside, like thieves and airlines. It also folds into nothing when they gear is out.

Disadvantages? No wheels and they won't protect like a hard case will. You also can't take something out of the bottom without taking everything out that is on top first.:boom:

Back
Top Bottom