Gear Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today I just picked up a standard hard shell case with Wheels and retractable handle. This way when I am travelling with my gear. it looks like a regular suitcase. The case is essentially a hard plastic shell with has a mesh divider between the two halfs. I picked it up for about 80 Canadian (50 Us). The Manufacturer is Atlantic and it comes with a 10 year warranty. It looks similar to the Sampsonite hard case but at 1/3 the cost and just as sturdy.

Cheers,

Lanshark

Has anyone tried out the Deep See Travelok bags? I was looking into the 750 http://www.deepseeinc.com/bagstravelok750.htm but it is hard for me to visualize what exactly would fit in it. I am really looking for something to lug from the car to the boat and to not take up too much room on the boat.....whatcha think?

you want to lug gear from your car to the site or from your hotel room to the dive boat or ...

try something like this

Mesh backpack

I pack one inside my hardside dive bag (for air travel).

I recently bought a bag at Mervyns made by RBH Sports.

It will hold just about everything I have, except for BC. Seems to be extremely well made, has wheels, a pull-out handle and just barely fits in the overhead on airplanes. Nothing says "Dive Gear in Here". It also has a large number of zipper-open compartments and little hold-em mesh bags on the inside to hold smaller stuff. The back side will unzip and there are two shoulder straps to turn the whole thing into a backpack. There is also a small back-pack that zips to the front that will also hold a lot of stuff and can be removed from the larger bag.

My wife and I just spent three days in Atlanta and we packed everything but the still camera in there. It really holds a lot.

I recentley picked up an army parachute bag at an army surplus store. it's a great size and sturdily built out of cotton duck.

UNFORTUNATLEY
Cotton canvas sucks on a stick on a dive boat which I discovered on my first trip with that bag. I'm looking for a nylon version of this same bag right now.

If anyone out there knows where to fin one please reply or PM me.
THX
Rice

I use a Pelican 1650 case for most of my gear. I have a slightly smaller case and I don't remember the model for multiple suits or extra gear. Pelican cases rule, they're plain black, lockable and best of all near bombproof. To be honest, after spending that much money on gear, why not make sure it's safe? I don't mind spending a little extra cash on the airlines as long as my gear gets there in the same condition that it left in.

A Good/Bad Bag, High Quality but Some Big Flaws.

First, this bag was obviously designed with quality in mind. The cloth is tough with well sewn seams. Strong YKK zippers are used throughout.

Several years ago my husband bought a large Akona dive bag with lots of great features. It is huge! It has wide set wheels. It has hidden backpack straps for the macho and healthy. It had a "stealty" "overbag" with no markings of any kind to engender the curiosity of less than honest baggage handlers. It had cut outs in the bottom for the wheels so you could arrive at the airport in stealth mode.

The handles are well attached. The drag handle is under a tough zipper. The very nice regulator bag custom fits into one of the exterior pockets so you have a choice of keeping it with the main bag or carrying it yourself.

The overbag material is smooth and fairly tough. This should have helped it from being snagged as it went through the system. That was important as the main bag has lots of very square coners. In addition to the expected 4 corners, 2 exterior pockets created additional snag points.

When I say large I mean we got all of our dive gear in it, 2 sets of fins, 2 BCs, 2 boxed masks, 9"x11"x2 1/2" Tupperware equip. box for miscellaneous items, booties, dive skins, shorty wetsuits, mesh boat bags. Their was still space left over that we put some of our clothing in! (We hand carried the regs.)

All this seemed great. We had eliminated the need for the second dive bag! Travelling would be much easier.

The first problem occurred as we walked to the light rail station which would take us to the airport. After crossing a few curbs one of the wheels went out of kilter, rubbing against the inside of its housing. Obviously it then pulled unevely. We find, if we have time one can beat it back into place with the heel of the hand. That will work only until the next large obstacle is encountered.

The bag is huge. They need to create a wheel/carrier system that can handle the cargo of a huge bag. Or they need to make the bag smaller.

The second issue is at least one thing rips on every trip, including the maiden voyage. Usually they are minor rips, sometimes the outer bag, sometimes the main bag , too. The holes in the outer bag for the wheels to stick out is a major problem.
The area around the holes is poorly reinforced.

When TSA puts the bag back on it is reinstalled as quickly as possible. The holes are no longer tight to the bag, begging some snag in the system to catch it and rip it open.

Akona was very accomodating. The first time they were notified they sent a brand new overbag, no questions, no charge. This is what I expect from a high quality company when I buy an expensive item.

The new bag ended up with the same rips the next trip. Eventually, we went to an auto seat cover shop and had them sew heavy vinyl reinforcement in the area. These seemed to hold very well. They didn't rip when they got hooked on something. Unfortunately they held well enough that many bags piled up behind it creating other damage to the bag.

Conclusion: A potentially great bag, but impractical to use in its current configuration.

If I get a chance I'll attach pics later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom