Gear for Learning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hambleto

Club Web Master
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Due to some issues I will not go into my OW training is being put off till January (hopefully). I know where I want to do it and I have made the reservations. I have been reading ALOT about the BP/wing BC and I asked the dive shop if I could learn using a BP/wing. They said that it would not be a problem for them to let me use one as apposed to a vest BC. IS there a problem in learning how to dive using BP/wing or should I just use a vest style BC? I only am confused as to how much lift I would use since I am a large guy.
Thank you,
Ben

What kind of exposure protection are you going to be wearing where you dive?

20-30 lbs of lift should be more than adiquate for a 3mm.

Halcyon 27 or the new Oxycheck 29 would be what I'd be looking at. If your instructor has no experince with bp/wing's you may want to seek some experinced help getting it fit for the first time. Proper fit and weight placement will help avoid some of the pitfalls you may encounter like:

-Floppy fit
-Croch strap ridding up
-Rolling face first on the surface water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom