Gear for New Wrecker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

optimistprime

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I just got my advanced cert from SSI with deep diving, wreck, and nitrox specialities. I'm wondering about some good gear choices for a beginner wreck diver since that is what I'm interested in mostly. I'm currently diving with a back inflation BC.

My question is what are some good backplates for wreck diving? I've been looking at some by Dive Rite and some by OMS; any other brands I need to consider? I want something that also works with doubles in the future.

Also fins, I've noticed everyone is wearing SP Jet fins. Is this just a trend among wreck and cave guys or are they actually the things to get?

I'm mostly diving in the keys and and the Gulf for right now. I'm going to college next year up north in New York so I'll also be looking at drysuits soon.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Whether you use Jets or some other stiff paddle fin, you're going to want something you can use for kicks which won't stir up the silt and will let you position your self exactly where you want to be, back up, turn on your own axis, whatever. Plates are for the most part pretty similar, and should all work with doubles when you're ready. Start with a one-piece harness and 5 D-rings, and don't try to get a wing that you can use for both singles and doubles, as it will do neither well. Back plates and wings show up here in the classifieds on a regular basis.

What kind of budget do you have now? New or used? Shoot me a PM and I'll send you the article I wrote on using BPW's and other so called "tech gear" for recreational diving. It goes over your options, configurations, accessories, and basic adjustments of the harness.

BP's; Deepseasupply, Hollis, Golem....Most BP's can be used w/singles or doubles, it's the wings that are specific.......Wings, same places and Oxycheq.......Fins depend on several environment factors, current being the major one.....You'll need reel(s) and probably lights....Biggest factors in dry suits are zipper location and quality.......Most people end up getting front zipper drysuits 'cause you can't zip 'back zipper' drysuits yourself........

You forgot the torch Jeff.

Thanks for the DIR article, I had heard a lot about the system but it was good to see it fully explained

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom