Gear Help/Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrasch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last night was my first class for my OW, and I realized that it would be beneficial to have my own gear instead of renting and am looking to possibly buy before my OW is done so I can get familiar with it in the pool before going in the Ocean. I found this package that seems like it should work and wanted to get thoughts from other local divers since you are more familiar with this area. Also am I better to buy packages or piece by piece?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

https://www.primescuba.com/essential-equipment/scuba-packages/aeris-atmos-ai-scuba-package.html

Owning your own gear is definitely the way to go, but it is usually best to try different types/styles of gear via your OW class (and perhaps beyond) to really understand what works best & makes sense for you and the type of diving that you plan to do after certification (travel vs. local).

Enjoy your class!

Owning your own gear is definitely the way to go, but it is usually best to try different types/styles of gear via your OW class (and perhaps beyond) to really understand what works best & makes sense for you and the type of diving that you plan to do after certification (travel vs. local).

Enjoy your class!

90% of diving will be in New England which is why I posted in this thread with all the other New Englanders. Very limited Travel maybe 4 dives a year outside New England

When you do your pool classes, does the LDS that you are taking the class from provide equipment? If so, I'd hold off buying until you try what they have. I was fortunate to be able to try various makes and models of BCs and regs, and see which ones worked best for me. I am a big proponent of try before you buy. You don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on gear and find you hate it.

I agree with Malpaso, first find out what you like before buying.

Odds are your probably diving in a standard Jacket BCD and may want to check out Back Inflate and BP/W to see what you prefer more due to comfort. The ONLY reason I bought my Transpac before I was even certified was due to the rental BCD's were all just to small and uncomfortable.

But, out of the package I would really think about changing to a wrist mounted computer instead of one that is attached to the hose. Also, even if you go into AI you will want a standard SPG just so if your computer goes your day of diving isn't over. Also, a lot of dive shops (both online and LDS) will glad to give you a package price for one you put together yourself, you don't have to just stick with what they list.

I'm a big fan of trying before you buy gear, either by renting or by borrowing someone's equipment.

Since you're planning on diving in New England I'd check out a BP/W as it'll allow you to take a few lbs off your weight belt by using a steel plate. As for shops that carry them, I'm not to familiar with the NH area, but Andy's and South Shore Divers in MA both stock them. Perhaps Aquatic Escapes in Londonderry and Discover Diving in Atkinson carry them. If not, if you're ever on Cape Ann diving post here and there are more than a few of us diving BP/W's that you'd be able to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90% of diving will be in New England which is why I posted in this thread with all the other New Englanders. Very limited Travel maybe 4 dives a year outside New England
I would not recommend a Travel package since you are diving locally. Are you going to dive in the colder months? The diving in New England tends to be hard core. Are you going to get into tech diving?

I would recommend rugged gear either way.

Beaver Divers brings up some good points. Depending on how often and how early or late in the season you plan on diving, a sealed reg would be beneficial as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5 oceans package looks like a good deal but I wouldn't recommend investing that kind of money yet until you see if diving is really for you. I hate to tell you, but a high percent of OW "graduates" are not diving a year later. Buy the basic equipment you need for the class [mask, fins, snorkel, etc.] You can always use it later for snorkeling on vacation trips if you find scuba isn't for you for one reason or another. If your LDS has some good deals on in-stock equipment think serious about it after you are done with the classes.

If you end up diving regularly up here you are going to acquire a varied wardrobe of exposure protection and probably several bc's, fins, masks, regs etc. over the next couple years. The bc you buy now for the summer diving may not fit over the drysuit you buy later on. You may find you prefer a wrist mounted computer over a console model. Maybe a weight harness would work better than a belt. Jacket/back inflate/steel backplate??? It may take several dives and a little experience to realize what you actually need.

And also it really depends upon what your diving style becomes. Are you going to settle into lake diving/ocean diving/shallow/deep/wrecks/ice. All these may not use the same gear. For example the suit you wear today for a wreck dive at 100' off Cape Ann is too hot for a shallow lake dive at Lake Winnie when the water is in the mid 70's. I say hold off on any major purchases: start saving your money in a scuba acct. because you are definately going to need it later if you catch the diving bug!!!
Last night was my first class for my OW, and I realized that it would be beneficial to have my own gear instead of renting and am looking to possibly buy before my OW is done so I can get familiar with it in the pool before going in the Ocean. I found this package that seems like it should work and wanted to get thoughts from other local divers since you are more familiar with this area. Also am I better to buy packages or piece by piece?

https://www.primescuba.com/essential-equipment/scuba-packages/aeris-atmos-ai-scuba-package.html

Here's what I have to say:

GREEN MANELISHI DIVING/OPINION

---------- Post added July 19th, 2013 at 09:29 PM ----------

I found this package that seems like it should work and wanted to get thoughts from other local divers ...

"Package deals" on dive gear are like "package deals" on your car; neither is truly for your benefit. After deciding what you want for gear, work with your LDS and I'll bet the owner will give you a price break on a custom "package".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom