gear opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

x-tine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone! I'm looking to buy my first set of gear, and just would like some opinions. I got my open water cert in dec. and will get my rescue in may. I will probably be diving at least 6 days in the next month and a half, so i was thinking that it might be a good idea to go ahead and buy gear. Also, b/c I've completely fallen in love with diving and can't imagine an instance when i would not be doing a lot of it.

i will not be diving particularly cold water, salt and fresh, as often as possible!

Here's what i'm looking at:
  • OMS BP/wing, 45 lb lift, single bladderwith retraction bands
  • Aqua Ling Titan LX reg with the ABS octo (I'm not sure how I feel about this b/c I learned to donate your primary and breathe off your octo, and this is designed to donate well. However, Aqua Lung is having a special where if you but a reg, you get this octo free. and $ is def a factor. so i'm thinking that i could get over it)
I need to get it soon if I want to have it for my checkout dives...Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
x

The OMS is a great choice, go with the Stainless backplate and oyu can shed some weight from your belt. The reg I can't comment on, never dove one. I would ask around and perhaps see what other people in the areas are diving for regs. Service $$$ should be a consideration too, check out annual service costs?? It helps to look at the tpy eo fdiving you will be doing too. Consider where youl lbe headed with diving and look at up front costs. I rented regs ffor almost a year before I bought my first. Find otu what you like and don't like then move on, don't make a rush decision and then look at upgrading or changing a year from now!!!

x-tine,

That wing is way too big for single tank diving, especially if you are avoiding cold water. A lift rating in the low 30s should be more than adequate and down in the 20s would be enough. An overly big wing will fill like Dumbo ears and not be any fun to dive.

Many divers like the hockey puck alternate seconds like the ABS. For recreational purposes they are perfectly adequate. What agency taught you to donate you primary? It's a common practice but I don't know of it as an OW or AOW skill. If you do not care for the ABS then upgrade. There is a very sound line of logic that says that the alternate second will be most desperately needed in a stressful situation so it should be something that you are perfectly content to breath from.

I suggest holding onto your cash for a little while. Devour the gear forums here on ScubaBoard while you see if you can beg, borrow, rent some different gear to try. When you start having real opinions based on multiple data points then you will be getting gear savvy.

Pete

Thanks for the advice!

I picked that particular OMS wing partially b/c my instructor recommended it, and I really like the idea of having the bungees to help keep the air evenly distributed. The smallest version with the bungees is 45lbs. I was completely confident that I wanted this bc (for the above reasons, as well as the fact that it's fairly comparable to the one i learned on). i guess that your response surprised me a little. (i don't mean that in a bad way at all, i appreciate the advice!)

I looked again at the Aqua Lung offer, and I can actually get a different octo (the calypso/titan), rather than the hockey puck one - which if will definitely do if i end up buying it. NAUI taught me to donate the primary.

Part of my logic for buying now is that I don't like the idea of renting and then that being a sunk cost, when buying it is more of an investment.

x-tine:
Thanks for the advice!

I picked that particular OMS wing partially b/c my instructor recommended it, and I really like the idea of having the bungees to help keep the air evenly distributed.

It doesn't look, intuitively, like it would help keep the air evenly distributed, but tons of people will tell you that the bungies will trap air. The 45# on the OMS site looks huge. Have you considered an Oxycheq Mach V? It's so streamlined, there is almost no tacoing or flap so you wouldn't need no stinking bungees even if they did work.

The Titan LX is a very good reg. I have 3. I would, however, bag the ABS idea, and get a Calypso-Titan octo. It cannot be used inverted in the mouth, and is a little bulkier, but is a much better breather.

x-tine:
I picked that particular OMS wing partially b/c my instructor recommended it, and I really like the idea of having the bungees to help keep the air evenly distributed. The smallest version with the bungees is 45lbs.
You will get divergent opinions on bungeed wings on SB. Those that like them support the idea that they keep air evenly distributed. Those that don't say that bungees not only don't do that, but force air out more quickly in case of a puncture. Who knows? I dive both bungeed and non-bungeed wings, and am comfortable with both.

The 45# is more than you need for a single tank, as Spectrum noted, and the 30# OMS, non-retraction band wing might be a reasonable alternate to at least think about. I can't say that the 45# is a 'bad' single tank wing, as I have seen people dive it with singles off the NC coast and they say they like the wing. It does look big -actually it looks wide and short) on the website, but appearances can be deceiving. I have used a 51# Rec Wing with a single tank (albeit a heavy HP steel 120) and find it works well and I can maintain good trim. Your decision may be influenced by the tank you will be diving, your body size. Have you tried your instructor's rig in the water to see how it works for YOU (presuming that it is what the instructor has)?

x-tine:
I can actually get a different octo (the calypso/titan), rather than the hockey puck one - which if will definitely do if i end up buying it.
IMHO, you should at least consider getting two identical GOOD second stages, particularly if your diving configuration has you donating your primary. Have never bought into a lower end octo. I echo the good advice from others about checking on annual service costs for Aqua Lung, and availability of good local service, just to be sure. Just don't know much about their regs.

x-tine:
NAUI taught me to donate the primary.
That is interesting. Good for them. Maybe PADI and SSI will feel the 'heat of competition' and consider evolving.

x-tine:
Part of my logic for buying now is that I don't like the idea of renting and then that being a sunk cost, when buying it is more of an investment.

Like Spectrum I usually recommend that people wait a bit to buy gear after OW cert. in order to learn, explore options, and test / evaluate equipment. But, the fact that you are starting with a BP/W is encouraging and suggests you are thinking along reasonable lines to begin. If you get a good SS BP and wing, even if you ultimately go with a different wing, it might be reasonable to go with your own gear a bit earlier. I also usually recommend to new divers that they think first about a good reg, followed soon after by, or even along with, a good BC (either a back-inflate BC or, preferably, a BP/W) as their first equipment investments beyond mask, fins and a good exposure suit. A good reg, and a SS BP and a quality wing (OMS is a good outfit) should last you quite a while. (And, as I understand it, people who invest in their own equipment may be more likely to dive regularly and more frequently, AND continue to develop their skills through additional training. Haven't seen the data, but several of the certifying agencies advance this notion. )

Thanks so much for all the feedback! Right now I'm thinking that I'm gonna go to my LDS and order it tomorrow! I'm still leaning toward the original setup that I looked at (with the calypso/titan octo), although I'm looking into the Legend second stage as well.

colliam, why do you say a SS BP, rather than aluminum? Just get to extra weight off your belt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom