Gear Purchase on Ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the past I've found the price difference between Priority and Parcel Post to be fairly small but the difference in shipping speed is significant. They make a couple of Priority flat-rate boxes, too.

I'm wondering about others experience buying used gear on Ebay.
Another way to ask: Have you gotten rid of gear on Ebay that was, let's say, questionable in it's ability to function? Or did it just not suit you but was still reliable / safe to use?

I'm considering shopping for a computer there.

Thanks for your input.

I have bought and sold gear on eBay. I never cheat people, if the item is "questionable" or has some defect then I state the issue.

Yes, I have been stolen from on eBay, I lost 350 dollars on a custom wetsuit I purchased --but---I have bought and sold literally thousands of dollars on eBay and I am running pretty good on losses. I have been cheated maybe three times including the 350 dollars wetsuit. Due to the issue with the wetsuit eBay changed their feedback policy. They now no longer permit retaliatory feedback (??) so that buyers can provide honest and if need be negative feedback. I will not hesitate to give negative feedback. If the seller has good feedback and has been an eBay participant for some time you are fairly safe. If you are cheated you should give negative feedback to protect the next buyer, that is the moral thing to do.

Code:

"I know nothing about the item"--means there is likely something wrong with it.

"No refunds"---means I don't buy from them

"Looks like new"------is it new or not?

"Don't know were it came from"---means it don't work

"I don't clean anything or check anything for function"---means it don't work and is junk

N

Code:

"I know nothing about the item"--means there is likely something wrong with it.

"No refunds"---means I don't buy from them

"Looks like new"------is it new or not?

"Don't know were it came from"---means it don't work

N

Scuba gear is fairly durable. If the item is a reg I would assume it would need service, so take that into account when figuring the final price. However a lot of folks on Ebay purchase stuff to sell, and know little about it.

Looks like new, means exactly that. Not new, but looks like it.

Don't know where it came from? I've really not run across that. I have seen the "Found in my deceased Grandfathers garage" type of statement. That generally means they don't dive, and don't know much about dive gear. Some good deals can be had in those cases.

Ebay will enforce a refund IF the item is NOT as described. However I would take a very hard look at the item before buying from someone who is reluctant to provide a refund. I generally advertise as "Refund ONLY if the item is not as described". I'm not into dealing with folks who make a purchase, and have buyers remorse.

Overall, I've had good success buying and selling on Ebay. I did buy memory from Hong Kong once, and received a torn empty envelope. I filed a dispute, and Paypal was COMPLETELY inept in resolving the issue. I took the $30 hit, so while it pissed me off, it was not a big loss.

Like I said, "it can look like new" and be totally non functional. You can usually determine to some extent what the seller has been selling in the past by looking at their feedback. If they claim "to know nothing about the item" and yet have been selling similar items for two years I will stick with my code, that usually means it don't work whatever it is. With millions of people buying a selling eBay cannot really be expected to police everything, you just have to watch out for yourself and don't get into things that you cannot afford to lose money on.

One way scammers operate is that they will build up a selling rep and then at the end sell some bigger ticket items using their positive feedback to lure you in and then suddenly the neoprene is on back order or the buttons are on back order or their supplier has lost their shipment and before long, they are gone with your money. Buyer beware, the vast majority are honest, here and there, they are not.

N

Back
Top Bottom