Gear Rinsing Idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
I came up with an idea that I'd like your opinions on.

Is there any reason you couldn't go to a do-it-yourself car wash and use the rinse setting to rinse off the gear? I'm not saying you should pressure wash the gear, but a lot of car washes have a spot-free rinse which is very light pressure. This way, you could wash your vehicle and your scuba gear for $5.00!

I bought one of those rolling clothes hangers from Target and thought I could just hang my gear up, rinse it all down and place it in the tub.

(I'm guessing that the soap and wax settings would be a bad idea, so I am just talking about using the plain rinse setting. Also, this would be most useful on those out of town/away from home trips, etc.)

OK, what do you think?

I accomplish same thing by placing the portable clothes rack in the apartment tub, and the using the hand-held shower head. And then I can let drip dry "on the hanger" or dunk in the tub.

Saves me the drive, setup, tear down, return drive.

I'm not sure if this would be a problem or not but I think that the rinse setting you are referring to contains surfactants(chemical to change the surface tension of the water to make the car dry spot free).

with my hose, or if they need to do some soaking then I have to pretty good size bins I put everything into and soak all the gear for a while and then hang it up to dry.

Rich :mean:

Many self-serve car washes use spray guns that shoot water at such high pressure that it would knock over most small children ;-)

I would think twice about washing your gear with water that is coming out of a hose that fast, especially your reg....

To clear up a few things....

The "Spot Free Rinse" settings at the local car wash are not the same as the high pressure wash. The spot-free rinse is a very low pressure, low volume rinse.

The water does not contain any sort of surfactants.. it is reverse osmosis filtered water, meaning it contains nothing at all. It's almost as pure as distilled water.

So your gear shouldn't have a problem with it, but I can't see it being much help. The total volume you get on one session with the spot free rinse is only a couple gallons, max.. and as I said, it's very low pressure.

I'll stick with my garden hose and 25 gallon bin.

After diving in Salt water I go to the local spring fed quarry and do a dive. It's the best way to rinse I can think of. I don't rinse any gear(only if its muddy) after a clean fresh water dive, just dry and put away.:D

Ten bucks buys a kiddie pool at K-Mart. In combination with a hose you're all set and no scratches in the tub. Only works for those with yards I guess...

Tom

I use a rack that I bought from a clothes store(that was closing)for rinsing..and it dose a fine job for fresh water..:sun:

Back
Top Bottom