Gear Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
How do you store all your gear? I've found that diving gear is a pain in the ***, what with needing to rinse it out & hang it to dry without being in direct sun. I modified a set of plans from a Black & Decker book and made a locker to handle ours.

I mounted the whole rig on 6 castor wheels so I can roll it anywhere I need, like outside to take pictures of it.

This is my locker closed. I mounted hooks on the side to hang bits of gear to dry. I used a couple of U-bolts on the top to mount a hanger rod. I slid it out to the side when I need to hang suits up to dry, slide it back in when I need it out of the way. I keep this in my garage & put a large rubbermaid tub next to it for the gear to drip into:

locker1.JPG

This is a look at the inside. I can get 6 tanks in the space under the shelf on the right. Both my poke pole and speargun fit inside the left compartment, as well as all the wet suits & BC's, extra jackets & such:

locker3.JPG

Approximate dimensions of the locker are 48 wide, 24 deep by 6 ft 6 inches tall, not counting the wheels. The top, bottom, sides and shelves are 3/4 treated plywood, the back is a 1/8 panel and the doors are 1/8 pegboard.

I mostly use the right side to dry gear before storing it, and have hooks on the left wall to hang our gear bags from.

Whoa! Very nice. This coming from a person who uses half her garage for an Escape and the other half for SCUBA camping gear. The garage door rails make a great place to hang a drysuit.

The only thing I can think of that you didn't mention was possibly drilling a few holes to allow the gear to finish drying if it's not completely dry when you store it. Don't want to get that musty smell after all the work you've done. Oooh... just realized the doors are pegboard. You think of everything! :D

Paula

You can get a car in your garage??? WOW!!! I have a 2 car garage & can't get a one in there, LOL. Too much crap.

Now that my wife is diving, we manage to fill this up pretty good. I might need to make a 2nd for over flow -especially extra suits- but I don't know where I'd put it. Have to figure out some junk to get rid of. Or build a storage shed. Man, every problem leads to a solution that leads to a new problem...

I picked up a Rubbermaid garden shed from one of the home improvement stores, and it holds my 4 tanks, bags, UW Metal detector and ALL the dive gear for me, my girlfriend and my son. (Full kits and multiple wetsuits.)

I drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole near the top on both sides, and ran a wooden rod from side to side, to hang equipment on hangers. Then I drilled a series of 1 inch holes across the top of the side panels for ventilation.

It sits against the back wall of the house where it's shaded by the trees. It seems to ventilate well, and is never an oven or even really warm when I open it.

It works VERY, VERY well, and keeps the clutter out of sight, and the wet things outside.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=19218-1217-FG374601 714&lpage=none

Ya know, I looked all over for something like that before building mine & couldn't find one. All the ones I found were too small, not even deep enough to hang up a wet suit or BC. I even tried searching online with no luck.

If I'd found that I may well have bought it.

Wayward Son:
How do you store all your gear? I've found that diving gear is a pain in the ***, what with needing to rinse it out & hang it to dry without being in direct sun. I modified a set of plans from a Black & Decker book and made a locker to handle ours.

I mounted the whole rig on 6 castor wheels so I can roll it anywhere I need, like outside to take pictures of it.

This is my locker closed. I mounted hooks on the side to hang bits of gear to dry. I used a couple of U-bolts on the top to mount a hanger rod. I slid it out to the side when I need to hang suits up to dry, slide it back in when I need it out of the way. I keep this in my garage & put a large rubbermaid tub next to it for the gear to drip into:

locker1.JPG

This is a look at the inside. I can get 6 tanks in the space under the shelf on the right. Both my poke pole and speargun fit inside the left compartment, as well as all the wet suits & BC's, extra jackets & such:

locker3.JPG

Approximate dimensions of the locker are 48 wide, 24 deep by 6 ft 6 inches tall, not counting the wheels. The top, bottom, sides and shelves are 3/4 treated plywood, the back is a 1/8 panel and the doors are 1/8 pegboard.

I mostly use the right side to dry gear before storing it, and have hooks on the left wall to hang our gear bags from.

props to you bro! i am impressed, i am really impressed. your set up looks extremely organized. i just use an oversized cooler for my dive gear:(

Very nice! I may have to try to build something similar.

Very nice indeed, great job.

I've used a plastic storage shelving rack w/ an open weave so that anything wet on it would drip downward, obviously putting the dry stuff on the top. I put this unit on top of a washing machine drip tray - http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=10&subctg=0&prodgrpid=63 - which I got at Home Depot - $20. I was tired of having water all over the floor from stuff dripping. Put a second one in the back of my car too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom