Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty minimalist....I can travel for 2-3 weeks with dive gear, toiletries, and other clothing to a warmer destination and my checked bag can be at or just under 50lbs/23kg. This is checking a full set of dive gear - 5mm full suit and a 3/4/5 hooded vest as well as boots, SMB, BC, fins, regs. Camera gear goes with me as well and is not checked. I do hand carry my primary mask and dive computer and check the backup mask.

ha ha ha in my "defense" --

* This is for TWO people including camera, though the rig is not that big;
* I am big - 1.97m (or 6'6" for you SI-challenged Americans :) ) so it does make things like booties and wetsuit more;
* The wife's gear is 23kg, mine about 36kg including pony tank;
* We have been carrying some tools and extras we probably will eliminate;
* We use the BP/long hose configurations which I think is a bit heavier than a jacket BC configuration (2 lbs BP);
* With the pony I also need a reg;

Now...why the pony? BEST THING I EVER DID. I guess I just use more air than most....than just about anyone. For a long time a tried and tried to use less air, breathe differently etc..but after 300+ dives, I don't think it's going to change much -- and I definitely feel a LOT more relaxed knowing that I can dive for an hour just like everyone else does -- it's a lot safer than always being shallower than everyone else, coming up early - and often solo when not with my wife.

We spend money I would rather not spend toting gear around for sure. But as a percentage of our "diving retirement" it's not that much. Or so I tell myself....

Thanks,

Bill

...and I definitely feel a LOT more relaxed knowing that I can dive for an hour just like everyone else does -- it's a lot safer than always being shallower than everyone else, coming up early - and often solo when not with my wife.

I hear ya and no doubt your wife/others appreciate it. Have you ever thought about side mount? You would no longer have to schlep around your extra bottle, less wear and tear on the back, tons of gas... Just an idea.

...and I definitely feel a LOT more relaxed knowing that I can dive for an hour just like everyone else does -- it's a lot safer than always being shallower than everyone else, coming up early - and often solo when not with my wife.

I hear ya and no doubt your wife/others appreciate it. Have you ever thought about side mount? You would no longer have to schlep around your extra bottle, less wear and tear on the back, tons of gas... Just an idea.[/QUOTE]

Yes I have thought about it and I think it bears investigation when I get back to Bali next week. Any suggestions where to look?

- Bill

I hear ya and no doubt your wife/others appreciate it. Have you ever thought about side mount? You would no longer have to schlep around your extra bottle, less wear and tear on the back, tons of gas... Just an idea.

Yes I have thought about it and I think it bears investigation when I get back to Bali next week. Any suggestions where to look?

- Bill[/QUOTE]

Cedric at Gecko is the man.

- Bill[/QUOTE]

Do you by chance know if I can do a negative entry with two sidemount Al-80s?

- Bill

I just checked in my bag with full kit and weight less than 14kg. The hand carry has 2 dive computers, mask etc etc and weight less than 3kg.
1. My check in bag weights less than 1kg.
2. I don’t have any issue with camera etc etc because they have nothing to do why I enjoy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom