Gekko or Aeris XR-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hinalo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a novice diver, and after a few weeks or so of reading here I've learned enough, I think, to figure out my computer/guage configuration for simple rec diving. I may take a Nitrox course next year, but for now I'm just going to be doing plain vanilla OW diving.

My constraints were that I don't have a lot of money to spend on a computer, I want to retain an analog SPG, and I don't mind having SPG, computer, compass on a console, I'm happy if the computer algorithm is on the conservative side, and I like the idea of user-replaceble batteries.

I'm still hazy about the benefits of air-integration beyond having a PSI readout on the computer, but the fact that I still want an analog SPG seems to rule out air-integration for now, at least so far as I can figure.

At this point it looks like Suunto Gekko is my top choice with Aeris XR-2 coming in close second. Both are available with a three-guage console set up that includes SPG and compass.

Does this config make sense, or is there something due to my general ignorance that I'm missing? Thanks.

I have a Gekko (got it right before my first checkout dives), and it works wonderfully. I don't believe you'll run into any problems. (The only thing that has me looking at the Vyper2 now is the fact that it allows two gas switching during a dive. Of course, that's dabbling in tech. :wink:)

I may as well add one more comment, however, and say that while I know many people happy with console computers, I wouldn't trade my wrist-mount for anything. Having the Gekko right there where I can quite easily see it whenever I want (even when ascending and looking up or watching a buddy in murky conditions) is wonderful. To each his own, of course.

I know. I'll probably get a backup at some point and keep it on my wrist.

Question about the Gekko. Can you see the display easily at depth without shining a light on it?

It's "glow in the dark", of course, and I find that after "charging" it with my light, I can go quite a long time before it's getting too dim to easily read. With the large numbers, it doesn't need to be as bright as some of the other computers to maintain legibility.

(I don't have a number for how many minutes it's bright, but it doesn't seem to need to be lit up unduly often.)

I have the wrist mount Gekko as well. It's a nice, relatively inexpensive Nitrox computer.

If it's too dark to read a glow-in-the-dark gauge then I should either have a light to illuminate it, or shouldn't be there in the first place.

Mike

Love the Gekko. I got mine right before my checkout dives and I got one for my wife as well. It's incredibly easy to use and presents the info in a very understandable format. You don't have to fiddle with it at all on a dive. It's awesome. Also, you can get some software to allow you to download from it as well. Search this site. I agree on the wrist mount. As a beginner I think it's a plus to be able to keep it on your right wrist in front of you as you ascend to monitor the ascent rate since your left hand will be emptying the bc. It doesn't over task saturate at all.

Hi, Ive got the Aeris Atmos 2 which is the model before the XR2 and I love it. The display is so easy to read, last week I had less than 2m visibility and the screen almost glowed (without the light). Im sure the XR2 would be the same.

Just a little information on Air integration.

The Air Integrated computers also will calculate an
"Air Time remaining". The computer will look at the remaining
pressure, your current breathing rate, and depth and will calculate
how much time you have until you need to start ascending.
Some people love this capability others hate it.

Obviously the computer has to make some assumptions in order
to do this, the primary ones being that your breathing rate
and depth will not change during the remaining time calculated. Should you change depth, get cold, become stressed,
or you have to head into a current, the calculation can be quite a bit off. This "time remaining" is updated fairly realtime though.
So, for example, if you descend, you can watch the time reduce
and if you ascend you can see the time actually increase.

Some air integrated models like Aeris/Oceanic will display
a single "Dive time remaining" which will be the shorter
of your air time remaining, you oxygen limit (if using nitrox),
or your NDL time. Some models display multiple time remainings.
One for NDL and another for Air time or oxygen limits.

Some of the Air integrated models will also plot your air
consumption if you upload the data to a PC.

Since the air integrated computer has access to the tank pressures it will
log the starting and ending pressures in the on board dive log.
You can then review this for logging in your log book or if
you are uploading the data it will be done for you and most
s/w will then use this pressure data along with the dive
profile data to calculate your SAC rate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
One thing to consider when looking at multi gauge/computer
consoles is how the gauges are positioned and how you will use
them. For example, I don't care for the layout of the Oceanic VEO 250.
This computer has SPG and computer on one side and
the compass on the other. This means that you cannot see
your depth and your heading at the same time. However,
the Aeris Xr2 3 gauge console puts the compass and computer
on the same side. Some consoles put all the gauges on
one side so there is no flipping required.

My wife hated the flipping because one thing you don't realize
until you try it is that the console doesn't flip over nearly as easy
when the hose is pressurized vs just sitting there on the
show room shelf.

There are advantages to each option and it really is a personal choice.

Another thing to think about is quick disconnect. If you plan
on downloading and don't have the quick disconnect hose,
then you have to drag the entire reg set to your computer.
While not necessary and it does add cost, the QD is really nice.

If you wanted to save a bit of money and don't need
the QD you can get a very similar setup to the Xr2
by picking up the Aeris ATMOS 2 console closeouts.
Scuba Toys has them for $299 right now.
Aeris ATMOS 2 Console
This model doesn't have the attached compass.
(But it does come with a knife)

For around $60 you can add the compass:
Atmos 2 Console Compass

For around $50 you can add the QD.

Also, if you decide you want to go air integrated, Leisurepro
has some great pricing on a few Oceanic & Aeris models.
- Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with QD & compass $499.
- Aeris AI with QD & compass ~$540
- VT Pro hoseless ~$550.

--- bill

I have the XR2 and it is super easy to use, and the interface is really understandable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom