Gender divide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like women dominate in knitting. It is an activity that nothing to do with gender, but it's taught socially only to women.

So, does that mean I have to stop knitting?

My wife and I dive and we both enjoy it equally. Rest assured there are many women divers out there. What we have found sad is that there is not a large number of couples who dive. A significant number of people we meet, both men and women divers, tell us that their spouse/SO does not dive, only dives warm water or will go diving just once in a while.

Over the years I have seen only a small percent (10%?) independent female divers vs spouses. Not sure if it is the focus on gear required or the lack of the ability to talk underwater (seriously, women like to interact more than men).

The irony of it is the female independent divers are often very, very good divers. They not only have a low air use, but the are confident, know their limits and train well. Men often tend to be over-confident and take stupid risk trying to prove themselves and one-up their buddies.

I muse over this subject myself. I find it slightly ironic, because my own personal view is that women tend to make better divers (lower SAC rates, less likely to do stupid things, more attuned to their environment). I figure it may be a combination of subtle machismo in diving, having to lug a tank around, and that men are free of social conventions that look down on women who appear in public without make-up on or with hair messed up.

The irony of it is the female independent divers are often very, very good divers. They not only have a low air use, but the are confident, know their limits and train well. Men often tend to be over-confident and take stupid risk trying to prove themselves and one-up their buddies.

Sorry, our posts "crossed" but I was thinking the same.

...and that men are free of social conventions that look down on women who appear in public without make-up on or with hair messed up.

I wonder to what extent it's that, vs. that more men simply don't care what other people think of their appearance at such times, and more women do?

My wife is sensitive to what other people might think compared to me, whereas I'm vaguely aware there are other people in the world so I don't walk into one or something. She tried to explain to me that wearing shorts with black socks (instead of white) is seen by others as 'dorky looking' - and I probably gave her a somewhat blank look and said 'So?'

Richard.

My wife's actually the one that got in to diving. I was too busy, supported her, etc, and I'd be lying if I said one of my biggest motivations for getting in to it was the Instructors and DMs talking down to me while flirting with her... At the end of the day I love it, and whatever reason I got in to it, it's a good thing.

And no, none of those douche bag DMs or instructors got a penny from me, and I successfully deprogrammed her from PADI-washing. It wasn't easy, I needed a priest and a trauma psychologist who earned her stripes in the Branch Davidian conflict.

No offense to good PADI people here, but you all know these guys exist. I actually got my OW from a PADI shop, but I'm probably shifting to NAUI to go with the guys from Scuba Toys this year. And I'm proud to say, so is she.

When it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter what gender you are. . . We all look the same to the sharks.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom