Gender v. Water Temp.

What average water temp. do you dive in most often?

• I am female and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • I am female and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 41 19.3%
  • I am male and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 49 23.1%
  • I am male and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 107 50.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa_j:
Hi Gidds -
...You get over that initial cold-water shock pretty fast!

-Lisa

Yes, it's called a brief bout of Tourette's syndrome :wink:

There are years where I haven’t been in waters warmer than 64 f. , and I regularly dive in waters that are 38 f.

So it’s really a matter of geography, how good your drysuit underwear is, and how much lead you are able to load up beyond your “perfect” weight.

On that last point, let me just say that up here where we dive under the ice, we have a saying. “lead is warmth” That is to say, if I can add 10 pounds of weight without overwhelming the lift authority of either my drysuit or BCD, then I can add 10 pounds of air to my drysuit, allowing my underwear to remain fluffy and warm. The rules are just simply different where the conditions dictate the need for very good thermal protection. In warm waters, perfect weighting need not take into account the need for “fluffy’ underwear.

Now onto a point of correction to a statement that was made very early in this thread.

Gidds:
There are LOTS of pretty things to see in cold water, they just aren't neon colored.

I beg to differ (and I'm not known for begging)! All you need to do is go diving in and around Vancouver Island. Don’t take my word for it if you don’t want to, just ask some guys like Uncle Pug or NW Grateful Diver. They’ll tell you, and even show you the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom