General Belize question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, it isn't. You can get just as deep on a wall, and there's more coral to look at on the wall too.

The Blue Hole is a once in a lifetime dive.

Do it once, you're good for a lifetime.

LOL! That's been my view, as well :thumb:. After diving it, me and my freinds all felt that it made a fantastic aerial photograph and postcard, but the dive itself was mediocre, at best. Factor in the cost and the whole "road trip" involved, and it ain't worth the trouble, at all.

LOL! That's been my view, as well :thumb:. After diving it, me and my freinds all felt that it made a fantastic aerial photograph and postcard, but the dive itself was mediocre, at best. Factor in the cost and the whole "road trip" involved, and it ain't worth the trouble, at all.

Right. And people reading this comment will take it into consideration and end up doing the Blue Hole anyway, and then post about it on yet another Belize thread to say the exact same thing. And other people will read THAT comment and take it into consideration and end up doing the Blue Hole anyway. I love it.

Right. And people reading this comment will take it into consideration and end up doing the Blue Hole anyway, and then post about it on yet another Belize thread to say the exact same thing. And other people will read THAT comment and take it into consideration and end up doing the Blue Hole anyway. I love it.

So TRUUUUUUE! It's kind of hard to knock and experience, unless you have actually experienced the experience!

I live on Caye Caulker, Belize and have not done the Blue Hole.....YET! I've read all the posts and spoken to numerous others who advise against it.....because THEY HAVE DONE IT!

Let's face it, while the actual dive itself may pale in comparison to many, a majority (?), of other sites available in the meso-american coral reef zone, one cannot disagree that this unique geological phenomenon, appearing NO WHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD, is....well UNIQUE! Therefore, if for no other reason than to say "I've seen it firsthand, swum within it, dived to a depth of 130+' inside it and seen the "guts" of it!" one must take advantage of the opportunity to do all that, when it is presented to oneself! I plan on doing that at some point prior to moving away from here. Upon doing so, I will resist, with all my might, the urge to say to anyone whom might inquire about the experience "Yeah, I've done it, but it's not really all it's cracked up to be." BECAUSE, that's not why one does the dive....is it really???

On another note, more closely related to the OP's actual question and to the first reply. I've lived on Caye Caulker since 9/30/17 and have done 9 dives spread out over the elapsed time period (mostly in the San Pedro/Caye Caulker region), plus did 3 dives in April, 2017 (Turneffe Atoll), and can honestly state I've never experienced the conditions referred to by the first reply to the OP's question. This does not mean their observations are wrong, incorrect or jaded, it merely means I have not experienced them.

As such, and since the OP is seeking an enjoyable vacation on land and in water, I would wholeheartedly recommend Belize as a viable and worthwhile option. The mix between the incredibly diverse activities & sightseeing available on land, coupled with unBelizeable (sorry, I HAD to slip this in here!) varied diving options presented in the "Belize Coral Reef" region, would make for a potentially awesome trip for this couple. Hell, who knows, they might even have the opportunity to do a dive that's "not really worth it"....so say EVERYONE WHO HAS DONE IT, WHEN ADVISED BY OTHER'S WHO HAVE DONE IT THAT, "IT'S NOT REALLY WORTH IT"!!!

Regardless, to the OP, I would like to wish you all the best as you plan, logisticize and prepare for your vacation. I'm sure wherever you end up (I recommend Belize!), I'm sure you will both have a great and memorable experience...even if you might not recommend to others certain parts of it you might do, after being told yourself it's not worth it, by others who have done it!

..I live on Caye Caulker, Belize and have not done the Blue Hole.....YET! I've read all the posts and spoken to numerous others who advise against it.....because THEY HAVE DONE IT!

Don't misunderstand, I'm not at all "advising against it" (and I don't think anyone else is either). The point being made is that it simply isn't the specatular,amazing dive that many folks are given the impression it is, largely based on the admitedly amazing aerial photos of it that are so well known. The whole idea of it being "worth it", has to factor in all the effort and expense it takes to get there, and many people that have done it, feel that it's over-rated.
And I'm kind of baffled at all the butt-hurt going on over it. It isn't like anyone's talking bad about your momma or anything. The OP asked for opinions on diving in Belize, and several folks that have been there are simply saying he can do better elsewhere, for the same money,time and effort. I don't see why that has generated all the hostility it has. We're just shootin' the breeze here, folks :cuddles:.

Hi all, just a quick one. My girlfriend and myself are discussing our next 'long haul' holiday, and Belize is high on the list. It would be roughly mid december time that we would go through to early January. Am i right in thinking there are year round dive sites which would be suitable at this sort of time of year?

Thanks for any help/info/tips
No problem! I dove with B&D Belize Magical Adventures and it was fabulous! Thomas Cal has great rates and exceptional personal service.

The Blue Hole in Belize is not at all a unique geological phenomenon (EVEN IF WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS). There are many blue holes all over the world.

I stand (actually I'm currently sitting) corrected on this matter...SINCEREST APOLOGIES!!!

@Mark IV no worries Mark, I was seriously just attempting to point out the irony of the advice sometimes given in regards to the "Blue Hole" dive with a little humor (apparently very little for some...you're not included in that grouping)!

In regards to "expense, time & effort" to do the dive...all that is greatly reduced if you're already here (CC or AC); plus you get the other two dives on the trip, which are, without exception, described as 2 of the best dives available in this region.

I stand (actually I'm currently sitting) corrected on this matter...SINCEREST APOLOGIES!!!

@Mark IV no worries Mark, I was seriously just attempting to point out the irony of the advice sometimes given in regards to the "Blue Hole" dive with a little humor (apparently very little for some...you're not included in that grouping)!

In regards to "expense, time & effort" to do the dive...all that is greatly reduced if you're already here (CC or AC); plus you get the other two dives on the trip, which are, without exception, described as 2 of the best dives available in this region.

um, no it's not. It's quite expensive and a long trip to do those three dives from both cayes. When people are referring to the time and cost of the dive they are already assuming the person is on one of the cayes. It's expensive for anywhere in the world so it is exorbitantly expensive for central america. The best way to do that dive is on a liveaboard or staying at one of the resorts near Lighthouse reef. I am surprised that you would say such a thing considering that you are living there. I think that you need to spend some more time in Belize and diving the world before making all of these blanket and incorrect statements. It's funny b/c you haven't done any of these dives yet you comment on them.

Last edited:
@Scott from LongIsland WOW, chill dude, your gonna blow a regulator gasket!

1st - in my short time on this board and on Caye Caulker (approx 4 months), you're the first poster that has mentioned, or should I say been adamant, about the (apparent) HIGH cost of the Blue Hole dive. I've not spoken to, or read any post by anyone who has said "I didn't/won't do it because it is so relatively EXORBITANTLY PRICED."

I honor your perspective on it, but let's remember "costs too much" is a relative phrase, based on one's own perspective and financial status. Since you are the first I have heard bring this aspect up, and seemed so adamant about the cost, I assumed (my BAD!!!) that you were referring to the total cost of coming to Belize and having the Blue Hole be a part of that trip cost...again, because you are the first poster I have read that has complained so vehemently about the cost. Honest mistake on my part...

2nd - I disclosed my "lack of diving experience" in my original post, so that the information posted would be taken for what it was worth. That being said, it does not preclude me from being able to relay the things I have heard, or understood from others (or Please forgive me, made an incorrect assumption on). As I believe I proved, I am open to criticism and correction on anything I post, but seriously Dude, back off a little.

Your intensity and desire to totally ripe me apart is a little over the top.

And I will stand by my previous point....while the Blue Hole Dive trip MAY be over-rated and a "once in a lifetime experience", I have not met, or heard from ANYONE (including YOU) who has said...."I won't do it (the first time) because it costs too much."

Just sayin'................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom