General info needed on Playa Del Carmen diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Friends -

Can you give me some background info on diving in Playa Del Carmen? My non-diving gf and I will likely be staying at one of the large AI resorts this June.

-Is the diving good?
-What type of diving should I expect? I know it's drift diving, etc.
-Any walls?
-Is the diving better in Cancun? Or Akumal?

I am into great viz, great reefs and larger animal life.

Most of my diving there was in relation to taking a cave course, but I did get out and explore the reefs a bit.

Yes, the diving is good.

If you stay on the Playa side, it's not too drifty, but if you take the ferry over to Cozumel, that's definitely drift dives. What makes the area famous are the cenotes though, so definitely check those out when you go.

Yes, there are walls, but more frequently dived on the Cozumel side.

The diving is better in Playa than Cancun or Akumal. Comparing reef-to-reef, the diving is better on Cozumel than Playa, but the cenotes are amazing. I'm not sure about June, but at some point there are bull sharks off Playa and whale sharks off Cancun (Isla Mujeres), so that would be good for larger animal life.

A friend of mine moved down there last year and started a web site/social club for the area, he might be worth asking too (he's not on here unfortunately). If you're interested, the site is http://playascubaclub.com.

Hey Brian,

the diving from playa is worth it like akumal and cancun there are nice reefs with lots of fish but nothing BIG.
Cozumel is famous for the wall dive and the coral formation.

But you have to see the Cenotes when you are here ! There are spectacular formations with an amazing visibility. Dont miss it !

Leif Meinert
Coconut Divers Cancun

The cenotes are not to be missed, but if you're not careful, after visiting a couple of them you might find yourself pursuing cave training! If you hook up with at Tank Ha in Playa, you can go with them on their boat across to Cozumel and avoid messing around with the ferry.

Dear Brian,

Diving in Playa del Carmen I find excelent. Most of the diver make the misstake that they compare the different places all around the world and make false opinions. Be open minded and find the special things at every place.
Here in Playa del Carmen for Ocean dives you will have from 10-15 different dive sites most of the divecenters offer. A few for example that are the most popular:
Tortuga, Barracuda, Sabalos, Punta Venado, Mama Vina, Moc-Che deep, Pare de Verde, Cerebros. - These are for more experienced divers
Jardines, Cueva, Moc-Che, Chun-Zumbul - Shallow fun dives.
You can find here 5 different turtel spiecies, Great barracuda, Sabalos, (Depending on the season) bull sharks
Before you make your trip check the prices and services. Here are a lot of dive centers that operate on low profile and I mean by that that they have a small shop but they don't own their private boat so every time they go out they rent a place at another divecenters boat.
I have been diving with Scuba Libre a lot of time. I was very pleased by the sevice. The instructors are professional and friendly.
For more infor check out their website: Buceos en Playa del Carmen | Bucear en Playa del Carmen
I would highly recomend for you diving in Playa del Carmen. Amazing.
Best Regards
Alex

I haven't done any ocean diving in the Mayan. I have only dove in the cenotes and they are amazing. My non-diving wife and I are returning for our third trip this June. I always use Nicolas from www.cenotexperience.com.mx He is a great guide and is very safety minded. Cozumel is a better place to do ocean dives

The diving in PDC is great and you wont have the crowds of Coz..but the topography is not like Coz. I beg to differ on the big stuff..we saw an amazing school of HUGE snappers, lots of turtles and 3 bull sharks. I too would recommend at least a day at the Cenotes..I used Abyss Dive Center and Dave was excellent for both kinds of dives-I would highly recommend him. One day we were the only divers and he came by our hotel and picked up our gear so we would not have to haul it down to the beach.

Guys, thanks for all the insight! Exactly what I was looking for.

Some background: trying to juggle the classic diver/non-diver vacation. I looked at Cozumel but the girlfriend would not like their "beaches" so PDC it is. Basically I am trying to find the best diving in Mexico but also a classic vacation experience for her. Not easy!

How about Scuba Libre dive shop ... any comments on this place?

Brian

A day trip to Tulum is worth the trip..pack a lunch and hang out on the beach.

If you are staying at an AI outside of Playa, you will either have to rent a car, hire a taxi, or take the Collectivo" into PDC to the dive shops. We just returned from there but we stayed in town at a hotel. Another couple diving with us was staying at Puerto Morelos, some distance towards Cancun. They were very unhappy with the cost of the taxi and hassle of the Collectivos. You might want to find a shop closer to your AI. My 2 cents

---------- Post added April 20th, 2013 at 07:32 AM ----------

For what you will be paying for an AI, you could stay ata nice boutique type hotel on or just off 5th Ave. (pedestrian street with allthe restaurants, bars, shops) and eat a the many restaurants around 5th Ave. We stayed at Hotel Cielo http://www.hotelcielo.com/,which is a beautiful small hotel but no pool. Who needs a pool when theCaribbean is across the road? Scuba Libre http://www.divingplaya.com/is just across 5th Ave. by the beach as are many other shops. We dove withFantasea Dive http://fantaseadive.com/,just a block down and on the beach. Jason, an American, is a blast to divewith. The tourists buses (ADO) go straight from the airport in Cancun to PDCfor $13, verses a taxi for $70. Don't miss the cenotes if your abilities allow.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom