General info needed on Playa Del Carmen diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand Bull Sharks are frequent visitors during the winter. What are the odds of seeing them during the summer? Is it something where they generally dissapear and go to other waters?

I understand Bull Sharks are frequent visitors during the winter. What are the odds of seeing them during the summer? Is it something where they generally dissapear and go to other waters?

I believe the bull sharks are gone in June but there may be some whale sharks around to the south

The Royal and The Gran Porto are two AI located in Playa. Well within walking distance of most in town shops. Abyss is a great dive group, you can find them on Facebook. I've been diving with Dave for over a decade.

Agreed! Dave was a great guide and operator..I will use on one else in Playa from now on!

I'm also staying at Sandos Playacar. I know there is a op on site but does anyone know if other shops in town pick you up at the hotel? I'd probably prefer to use a shop off site but won't have a car and don't want to pay for a taxi each day I dive.

The taxi syndicate generally prohibits dive shops from entering AI properties to pick up divers. Some dive shops will pick you right outside the AI, but that is usually for divers going on a cenote dive tour.

Ditto for the Abyss...Dave runs a great operation and is really knowledgeable re. reefs, marine life and the cenotes. He's been diving here for years and his experience level shows. Can communicate with him or book on line via facebook - facebook.com/Abyss.PlayadelCarmen. Have a great time in Playa!

Trips to Coba and/or Chichen Itza might be a cool non diver experience. Coba is in the jungle and there are some cool cenotes on the way you can snorkel or dive. I found them to be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom