General question about genuineness of OW & AOW tests in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diver_City Boys:
Hi,

I finished my OW in samui last month, i can swim 2000 meters today no problem,
I am planing to go 400 meters in less then 8 minutes, how fast you have to go to
score 5 points?

-Also wanted to know if snorkle 800 meters done in large swiming pool or sea?
-if it's in the sea, how they keep track of that distance?
-how fast to go to score 5 points for 800 meters?

Do you mean for DM? If so:

400 meters: 6 minutes, 30 seconds
800 meters: 14 minutes

Waterskills tests must be done in confined water, but can be in a bay.

if it's in the sea, how they keep track of that distance?
When I did my DM course, the instructor kind of guessed. It seemed a bloody long way to me. We measured it later and it was more like 600m! No wonder I didn't get 5 points! Note - you do not need to get 5 points to pass, but at the same time a DM should not be struggling to swim 400 meters.

Thanks quero and onthespot

I know 20 points is maximum, do they get recorded somewhere? I mean if you do really good, say like 18-19 points so you have prove and pose later? :D

The points do not get passed on to PADI. The instructor/dive center should keep a record of all DM paperwork, and when I had DM students before I would have a copy for them to keep too. Trouble is after you pass your DM...5 years later..getting fatter....can you still do 400m? :wink:

OnTheSpot:
When I did my DM course, the instructor kind of guessed. It seemed a bloody long way to me. We measured it later and it was more like 600m! No wonder I didn't get 5 points!

It think this wasn't just, let say you do all swim skills in nice & calm day at beach while the next guy do it in wild wavy windy day at same beach tommorow, therefore you can't compare performances which really isn't fair?

-Can you request your dive instructor to do them in swiming pool or calm day at beach only?
-I know passing rate is 12 points, what is averge points that most divers get?
-Since you knew the distance was 600 meters, couldn't you redo the shorter distance?

Diver_City Boys:
It think this wasn't just, let say you do all swim skills in nice & calm day at beach while the next guy do it in wild wavy windy day at same beach tommorow, therefore you can't compare performances which really isn't fair?

-Can you request your dive instructor to do them in swiming pool or calm day at beach only?
-Since you knew the distance was 600 meters, couldn't you redo the shorter distance?
DM #1 works out prior to doing their swim test, so that they can score high.
DM #2 scores lower than DM#1.

After completing the swimtest, DM #1 gets fat and doesn't exercise. His swim skills are now poor due to poor cardio health. Is he a better DM than #2?

Dude, you are getting too concerned about this. You do not need to worry about getting 5 points or how many points other divers get, or trying to compare divemastering ability based on swimming, it's really not important. The DM swim and stamina tests are a piece of cake. I cannot imagine anyone ever failing it.

Relax, DCB, the ink on your OW card is barely dry! I am aware that you were forced to delay your OW training until your swimming improved, so you focus on that as a barrier. But now that you know how to swim, don't worry too much, just stay in shape so that, when you are finally ready for DM, you will be confident. Get some dives in, do your advanced certs (AOW and Rescue), and work on becoming really proficient at diving so that you will have all the confidence you need in other areas to be a good DM. The swimming is the least of it.

I'm not a DM, but I do have 130 dives. In Jan 05 I went to Maui for my best friends wedding. I had talked him into getting his OW before he went so we could dive together.

We went out on a boat trip and the spot were at had some serious chop. I noted two things that bothered me on that particular dive.

1. There was a person doing a discover diving at the boat. Definately the wrong spot for that, but they did it anyway.

2. The DM assigned to lead the tour had fewer dives than I did at the time. In other words, you can get your DM without having a whole lot of dives, but, you need to ask yourself if you are truly comfortable enough in the water to be a DM? If the answer is no, then the DM training is not going to fix that.

Anyway, the DM said get in the water and wait. We were the first two in the water and seeing my friend was not doing well in the chop I told him we were going down to 20fsw and wait. I signaled the DM of our intentions and then we went down.

As far as the swim for DM qual goes, I think I'd rather do it in the sea. There's something to look at, you're more buouyant too.

OnTheSpot:

Dude, you are getting too concerned about this. You do not need to worry about getting 5 points or how many points other divers get, or trying to compare divemastering ability based on swimming, it's really not important. The DM swim and stamina tests are a piece of cake. I cannot imagine anyone ever failing it.

First of all, i'm not too concerned, fyi i do many things beside learning how to become a diver, my daily schedule is so conjucted that i need to preplan everything to time saving.

Secondly, if you are not willing to share infos with beginners (who have lot things
in their minds to know about), please refrain from making empty statements, and please feel free not to take part in my future threads as members aren't obliged to answer when there is conflict of interst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom