General Questions for first timer to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info! Great summary of the dive sites, will print and take with me. The surge suppressor is a great idea, will do that as well. Will probably pass on the books. Was wondering about Rincon, glad to hear there are some places to stop there. How about grocery store prices, about the same as they are here in the states? Also looks like we are flying in via Curacao; worth spending a day there?

Grocery store prices are higher than in the states; having stuff shipped in costs some money. You may especially notice this about fruit (I've got a buddy living on Bonaire who tells me about relative costs for plums & apples). I buy 'Brand X' diet Coke knock-offs when I'm there. When eating out don't expect refills to be free, so I usually get water eating out, and drink soda back home.

I have not been to Curacao. From what I'm told about it on the forum:

1.) Has similar diving natural resources, but the island infrastructure isn't nearly so focused on diving.

2.) But whereas on Bonaire a road runs around the island perimeter 'hugging' the coast line, on Curacao the road is farther inland, and you have to turn off & head down a side road to reach your site (at least with some). Bottom Line: travel time between dive sites is significantly greater.

I believe you're staying at Dive Hut. I liked them last August. If memory serves, I needed to grab a bar of soap at the grocery store, and I tend to go through toilet paper fast so I grabbed some. They don't have the frequent 'maid service' that some places do.

In my experience, buying milk on Bonaire is dicey; it's easy to get stuck with sour milk. Peanut butter & jelly & a loaf of bread is your friend. I don't know about Dive Hut (I stayed in the cheapest room type, without stove), but some places may have gas stoves, so be aware if that's new to you.

Richard.

I love Curaçao - and have been there three times - and would suggest that you spend a week diving there someday. But there's no reason to spend a day there, unless you ended up having a 10-hr layover or something.

Gdog - prices for items such as food/alcohol can be relative. I find Bonaire comparable to the New York/New Jersey/Phila area where I reside. I think it's much cheaper than other islands I routinely frequent - Dutch/French St. Marteen and Caymans. Another tip to add to your cultural experiences - you will find locals walking along the road or school kids in the bus stops calling out town names and while I would never offer anyone a ride at home, we have often picked up locals (using a bit of common sense). Sometimes the language barriers make it interesting, the kids are delightful (as kids usually are!). Usually it's the ladies looking to get to Kralendjik or the kids looking to get back to Rincon after school, rarely does it take us more than 5 minutes out of our way.

So, rather than taking your dive bag/duffle, do you just take your reg/bcd/fins/mask so that nothing is left in the truck unattended? Seems like a PITA.

So, rather than taking your dive bag/duffle, do you just take your reg/bcd/fins/mask so that nothing is left in the truck unattended? Seems like a PITA.

Yep, and yep.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2013 at 02:04 PM ----------

A common approach to shore diving is to enter, see which way the current flows & swim into it going out, then come back. But at west coast sites often current is negligible; you can dive 1 tank going one way, get out, change tanks, re-enter & go the other way, getting 2 dives at a site.

With so many sites to choose from, I'll give you a quick listing of some I'd recommend, popular dives I consider 'signature dives' (just my view). If you research sites online instead of getting a book, this might help you focus. Roughly from north to south:

1.) Karpata - lusher reef than some sites. You walk in beside a big concrete block.

2.) Ol'Blue (Tolo) - nice overall site with pretty easy entry. It & Karpata are past the 'road becomes one way' point & commit you to a long drive home, so do them together.

3.) 1,000 Steps - Sooner or later you'll want to do it. Nice site. The steps are a nice land photo op.

4.) Oil Slick Leap - I've had some really good dives here & seen neat things. It's not just good for the big giant stride entry thrill.

5 & 6.) Andrea I & II - pretty easy entries, good all around dive sites.

7.) The Cliff - not easy to figure out from the road where it is/how to get to it, but it's a small vertical wall that's fairly shallow and fun to dive.

8.) Buddy Dive's House Reef - I tend to head north, toward Captain Don's.

9.) Windsock - easy entry, plus there's a huge wooden pier that makes it easy to see where to come out when you're night diving. Good all around site. One night mosquitoes ate me alive onshore, but not every time.

10.) Invisibles - nice reef but a long swim out. Wife is sea sickness prone & tends to get sick on that swim out. Something to think about.

11.) Salt Pier - if you get past people debating whether it's open or not & whether diving it's allowed, diving along the pilings is neat.

12.) Hilma Hooker - neat dive with a double reef (a sandy 'canyon' between them) with a big wreck sitting on the sand. Swim to the far side to see tarpon. Looping around the ship I tend to hit 70 - 90 feet, so it's a deep dive & watch your air consumption. Entry & exit are marked but not the easiest.

13.) Angel City - good overall dive.

14.) Sweet Dreams - lushest reef I've seen there except maybe for Karpata.

Be mindful that far southern sites like Red Slave can have substantial current at times. Sweet Dreams didn't when I dove there, but it's near Red Slave, so be careful if you try it.

Other people will have different favorites, but those would give you a good sampler of west coast diving at popular mainstream shore sites.

Richard.

There is your Bonaire shore diving made easy book right there

---------- Post added January 13th, 2013 at 02:08 PM ----------

One you left off is Bari reef- a must do I think based on it being the reef with the official reputation of being the most diverse marine life reef on Bonaire, more species than any other or, or something like that.

A good site for dive site info for bonaire is ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community!

And Bari Reef makes a great night dive. I would also throw in Margate Bay as one of my favorites!

Struggling to see the PITA aspect of putting your scuba rig and fins (with mask tucked into one of the fins) in the back of a pickup truck. In fact, with the right fins you don't even need to bring a pillow...

Truck2.jpg

If you need a bag/duffle for your diving stuff, you're diving with too much stuff.

:D

Since you drive right up to the dive site and gear up at the truck, you really don't need any bags, etc.

Agreed, you definitely don't need a bag. We take a small mesh bag for some of our small stuff, otherwise everything gets piled in the back of the truck and off we go! Man, I can't wait to be back diving Bonaire!

Back
Top Bottom