General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap -- if you had to have a diver for every, say, 200 feet, you'd still need 8 support divers for the cable alone!!!

Okay, this is just nuts!

So, taking a SWAG, what would you say the weight per foot would be? and What is the cable diameter?

Just my $.02 SWAG -- It will have to be reeled out from the surface . . .

I like those Gnom ROV's. The standard one is only about 7" tall, so would be able to fit through restrictions. The Baby is even smaller.

You have to account for the buoyancy characteristics of the cable versus just the dry weight. Based on the pictures on their web page, the cable is negative, but I would expect it is designed to be closer to neutral, otherwise you'd just be fighting cable weight.. You would most likely have divers feeding the cable up to the restriction. Then have the ROV go from there.

So, taking a SWAG, what would you say the weight per foot would be? and What is the cable diameter?

Just my $.02 SWAG -- It will have to be reeled out from the surface . . .

they are heavy enough. Our big ones (1 kilometer ones) are rack mounted in a back of a HUMVEE and are heavy as crap. we use the HUMVEE to spool them out.

(3-4 1km spools, which 1km = about 3,000 feet).

So Mike has offered to bring one of the HUMVEE's. What a nice guy.

I like those Gnom ROV's. The standard one is only about 7" tall, so would be able to fit through restrictions. The Baby is even smaller.

You have to account for the buoyancy characteristics of the cable versus just the dry weight. Based on the pictures on their web page, the cable is negative, but I would expect it is designed to be closer to neutral, otherwise you'd just be fighting cable weight.. You would most likely have divers feeding the cable up to the restriction. Then have the ROV go from there.

That is way too big to enter..

Jax - How big and how heavy was the spool on the old TOW missiles?

You guys can't see the forest for the trees. If you're kind enough, I'm sure DeepSwim already has a gadget that will locate this guy and will monofin his way to tag him for ya. Of course, you may have to agree to wear the mono-snorkel as a token of thanks on your next dive:)

The question remains........Who's gonna carry the feller on a free cave dive if he turns up sipping a longneck in Mexico?

Mike, the problem is that none of the small ones have much of a tether - 100m and 200m, IIRC.

Mike, the problem is that none of the small ones have much of a tether - 100m and 200m, IIRC.

No problem. Just take a plastic tote, turn it upside down to trap air and then keep the working end of the tether in the air, nice and dry :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom