generic or Halcyon SMB and pay triple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like any feedback on the Halcyon SMB. Basically i'm trying to debate if the Halcyon is worth the pricetag. I can get a generic SMB for 30bucks, or a Halcyon semi closed oral inflate one for $132. Thanks

I like the Carter sausages. I have the smallest safety sausage. 20 lbs of lift and 6' tall. I think they are well made, priced right ($40), tall enough and not too big that it takes a lot to inflate them. I use this primarily as a DSMB.

As long as it works, it doesn't matter whatever you decide.

sambolino44:
Does the small Carter sausage have the Diver Down flag, or is that only on the larger models?
Just the larger models- the large flag is 10' tall! I believe the personal floats have a baffle on the bottom and the diver down flag.

The smaller sausages are closed markers with an oral inflator and an overpressure dump valve. There is a reflective strip and a d-ring at the top.

But the Halcyon one has got a Halcyon logo on it! Plus if you get any other kind you'll be DIW (Doing It Wrong).

I hate to say it, because I'm exasperated every time I conclude that anything Halcyon is superior, but I've tried four makes of SMB, and ended up with the Halcyon.

I like it because a) it's got an overpressure valve (several do) 2) it's got an inflator you can use for both oral and LP hose inflation (this is not always true) 3) It's a reasonable size and shape, and 4) I could inflate it orally when my mouth was cold and numb.

What I don't like about it is the very tight elastic band that secures it when it's rolled up. It's better than Velcro, which is a pain to manipulate both in opening and securing in the water, but it's difficult to manage in dry gloves with cold hands.

Still, after playing with a bunch of them, I reluctantly laid down the money for the Halcyon bag :(

TSandM:
I hate to say it, because I'm exasperated every time I conclude that anything Halcyon is superior, but I've tried four makes of SMB, and ended up with the Halcyon.

I like it because a) it's got an overpressure valve (several do) 2) it's got an inflator you can use for both oral and LP hose inflation (this is not always true) 3) It's a reasonable size and shape, and 4) I could inflate it orally when my mouth was cold and numb.

What I don't like about it is the very tight elastic band that secures it when it's rolled up. It's better than Velcro, which is a pain to manipulate both in opening and securing in the water, but it's difficult to manage in dry gloves with cold hands.

Still, after playing with a bunch of them, I reluctantly laid down the money for the Halcyon bag :(
What are the other brands or types of bags that you used?

Have you thought about putting a knot or ball on the elastic loop to make it easier to grab? Like the one on some reels?

I had one which was generic (possibly Trident?) from our LDS. And an OMS, and my husband has the Zeagle, and I borrowed the Halcyon.

Knot or ball on the elastic? Elucidate, please?

TSandM:
Knot or ball on the elastic? Elucidate, please?

Think of it like a pull dump for the elastic, but without the dangly bit. If you threaded a small ball or pull dump on the elastic, it would be easier to grab with gloves on.

This isn't exactly what I had in mind, but it might give you some ideas. Thanks Tobin! stage wraps

Back
Top Bottom