generic or Halcyon SMB and pay triple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I drove 30 miles in the rain to purchase a $74 3.3 foot Halcyon SMB last weekend. I could have gotten it much cheaper online, but sometimes you got to throw a little cash toward the LDS, esp. the small technical ones. They're usually good people and will take care of you if you take care of them. I like going into a shop where people remeber my name and will enjoy talking to me without me buying something everytime I walk in there. The sales woman actually gave me a discount on it, not sure how much I actually paid, but still worth the money.

do it easy:
What are the other brands or types of bags that you used?

Have you thought about putting a knot or ball on the elastic loop to make it easier to grab? Like the one on some reels?
quite a few have a overpressure dump valve. you're saying you would pay the extra 80 or so bucks for the H instead of a generic one, all things considered? Replies so far are much appreciated

Man I dunno, I just look at it doing deco my life is hangin on it. Would rather opt for the best. I go with Manta

skywalk:
quite a few have a overpressure dump valve. you're saying you would pay the extra 80 or so bucks for the H instead of a generic one, all things considered? Replies so far are much appreciated
No, I'm saying I bought the $40 Carter sausage and I'm extremely happy with it!

TSansdM is the one that shelled out the extra cash for sweet lady H; I was just giving her suggestions to make it easier to use with gloves on.

Did you mean to reply to Arcaporale?

do it easy:
No, I'm saying I bought the $40 Carter sausage and I'm extremely happy with it!

TSansdM is the one that shelled out the extra cash for sweet lady H; I was just giving her suggestions to make it easier to use with gloves on.

Did you mean to reply to Arcaporale?
yes sorry. To arcaporale. Im really seriously considering getting H. but i'd be paying 80bucks more.

TSandM:
I hate to say it, because I'm exasperated every time I conclude that anything Halcyon is superior, but I've tried four makes of SMB, and ended up with the Halcyon.

I like it because a) it's got an overpressure valve (several do) 2) it's got an inflator you can use for both oral and LP hose inflation (this is not always true) 3) It's a reasonable size and shape, and 4) I could inflate it orally when my mouth was cold and numb.

What I don't like about it is the very tight elastic band that secures it when it's rolled up. It's better than Velcro, which is a pain to manipulate both in opening and securing in the water, but it's difficult to manage in dry gloves with cold hands.

Still, after playing with a bunch of them, I reluctantly laid down the money for the Halcyon bag :(

I hate to admit it as well, but after trying 3 other SMBs, ended up with the Halcyon one also.

This if for the small 3.3' Dive Alert Marker. The only similarly equiped SMB in that size is Deep Sea Supply's. Actually bought the DSS SMB for the spouse for x-mas, it just didn't do it for her. I now use the DSS SMB, and it's fine with me.

If you want a larger sized SMB, for example 6', then there are a lot of options for you.

I think the Carters and the Halcyons look the sharpest out there, and are doubtless solid choices. I had a hard time deciding between the Carter and the ScubaToys SMB, however. The $40 ScubaToys SMB won out because it had all of the features I really wanted at a fraction of the price. Perhaps someday I'll upgrade to the Carter, but it's entirely possible I won't.

TSandM if you go to your local camping store they sell these little bungee things for tarps with a plastic ball on them. There like five bucks for a bag of six around hee. Untie the loop take the ball off and put it inline on your bungee on the smb and you can undo it even with five mm gloves on. If i can find a link i'll post it.

edit:
here is a link they work great for lots of cold water/temp uses:
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com...aps/canopy-tarp-bungee-cord-10pc--659850.aspx

Thanks for the idea -- I'm going to try it, especially before Rec Triox! Anything that makes bag shooting easier is a good idea in my book.

Now, if anybody has ideas for how to get the dratted thing out of my pocket without knocking the double-ender off the spool, I'm all ears.

Back
Top Bottom