Genesis GS2000 Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jduncan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After reading lots of posts regarding self service of regulators, it seems that obtaining parts will be an issue.

I am the type of person who would rather service my own equipment by obtaining the right tools and knowledge (easily obtainable).

Has anyone been able to service their own GS2000 (obtain parts) ?

I am interested in the repair seminar in Boston on March 4th, and if I could get parts I would certainly go.

I don't have very much confidence in dive shops here on Cape Cod. "Genesis? Yeah, we service those."

Jeff

The Genesis reg is uncommon enough that there are not a lot of parallel sources for spare parts, the way there are for, say, a Scubapro Mk25/G250 or Apeks. So obtaining parts is going to mean finding a Genesis dealer willing to sell them to you. If you took a course they might be a little more likely to, but only a little. So you would do better sounding out the shops. Unless Genesis has changed its rules, you'll need a dealer to get you into the clinic anyway.

If you are really serious about working on your regs, you'd do better to dump the Genesis and get one with better parts availablity. The GS2000 is a good performing reg, but it is a very rube goldberg design (it was designed when Sherwood and Genesis were estranged, as a way of getting around Sherwood's dry air patents) and oddball regs are never a good choice for DIY servicing.

I should also mention that many divers servicing their own gear who can't find parts have full rebuild done by a dealer every few years, and do their own touch-up servicing in between, cleaning and relubing, and replacing O-rings as necessary with generics.

Back
Top Bottom