Genesis GS2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricJ:
My wife uses a GS 2000, and it seems like a fine regulator.

We are both getting nitrox certified. The manual is a little confusing about whether or not it is nitrox compatible.

My LDS told me that it will work fine with nitrox but that the reg will no longer be under warranty if used with nitrox. He went on to say that the GS 2000 is fine for nitrox.

Have others heard the same?
As stated in prev post, the GS 2000 IS Nitrox compatable. Yes, Genesis probably does want you to spend the extra $$ on the OZ Titanium. If you dont clean your gear after every dive, then yes-get the OZ. There are other minor as well as cosmetic differences but, the titanium is the BIGGEST difference.

The problem you are experiencing is that some LDS's will use just about any reason to hit you for more $$ or say "Oops that voids the warranty", thereby opening the door for future service charges. "Your high pressure seat needed to be replaced, it must have been that Nitrox you were running through it". Or, "That free-flow you were getting, and I thought maybe I didnt adjust it right the last time? Turns out its that damn Nitrox! I rebuilt the entire 1st stage though, your all set now!" That'll be $45.00 please.......

Now once again, its easy for me to preach about the LDS's overcharging because the LDS that I work under does not have to turn a profit every day in order to keep the lights on. He has a very successful Exterminating business that he runs full time. I have seen though, other shops in the area, their attitudes, their price gouging, as well as their "Top Shelf" selling to new/uneducated students. Living for "Now", not the future sales and referrals.

O.K, thats it for me.

If you use it, it works well, and you're happy - stick with it. Besides, it may please the little lady that you kept it!
(If it ain't broke don't fix it :)
Norm

EricJ:
My LDS told me that it will work fine with nitrox but that the reg will no longer be under warranty if used with nitrox. He went on to say that the GS 2000 is fine for nitrox.

Have others heard the same?

Talk to Larry at Scubatoys. I had this exact conversation with him....He says the reg IS still under warranty if you dive Nitrox as long as you stay within rec limits (40% O2).

GoJu, FYI Genesis also says if you put in the conversion kit you are supposed to never use air again...Only Nitrox. As has been said before ALL regs are nitrox compatible. When Nitrox hit the mainstream dive market Manufacturers saw it as a cash cow.

I have heard from several reliable sources that the Genesis 2000 reg is nitrox compatible. I just flipped through the manual and it states the following: DO NOT USE THIS EQUIPMENT WITH ANY GAS OR ENRICHED OXYGEN ABOVE 21%.

Two professionals (not counting those on this board) have told me that the reg will be fine with nitrox. In fact a Genesis dealer admitted to me that Genesis simply wants you to upgrade your reg and be able to opt out of its warranty.

I'm going to check with yet more people. Sorry to be redundant, but are you guys sure it's OK to use a Genesis GS 2000 with nitrox?

It's OK to use any just about any reg out there with Nitrox up to 40% (Titanium notwithstanding). Genesis is speaking "Legal-made-us-write-this-crap-to-cover-our-butt-ese."

Ignore. Go dive Nitrox and be happy.

Back
Top Bottom