Genesis H and modular DIN valves !ALERT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
it seems that Genesis had a machinist issue with a good many of their H and modular Din valves. The O-ring seats have had too much material removed to get a good seal. My wife and I went through 3 valves before we finally got a good one. The dive shop we bought the tanks and valves from handled all this for us and said that Genesis is aware of the problem but that there might be "hundreds" of these valves out on the market. It is real easy to spot as the tank will begin leaking as you try to fill it. Just wanted to let everyone know to be on the lookout for this. At least Genesis is acknowledging the problem and is replacing the valves as they are found. We finally got a good valve and the tank is waiting for us at the DS filled and ready to go.

I have been a Genesis dealer for almost three years and there have been manufacturing defects. The thing is they never once told me about it. Just the other day I spent alot of time trying to figure why a brand new H valve leaked. After changing O-rings more than once it seemed to work OK. I thought I got some junk O-rings. OK, one of two possabilities. The next day 170 miles away while I was supposed to be teaching a class the customer went to dive the tank. As soon as he turned the tank valve on it leaked. OK. Was it the temp change? What if it was warm outside? Would it leak in the cold water at 60 feet? I took the valve home, changed O-rings and everything was OK. Now, I read this. I have had this happen before with Genesis regs! I have had these valves in my shop for months and this is the first I have heard of it. Keep in mind these valves did not leak when being filled, they leaked later. Genesis endangered my customers and less important took up much of my time and made me look like a #$%. These are facts folks. I suppose they will pull this post. I think enough of the truth has been hidden! Buyer beware!

Just to let the staff and everyone else know...I did not make this post as any sort of attack against Genesis. I made the post only to let other board members know of a possible problem. I do not personally have any problem with Genesis, as a matter of fact I think they make pretty good valves. Any company can and will have manufacturing problems. I do hope that this incident gets Genesis to improve their quality assurance inspections.

If they new about the defect and chose not to tell us dealers then they (through inaction) placed at least one diver at risk. I find that inexcusable. As soon as I read your post I left voice mails and e-mails all over the place. I really hope someone sees fit to give me some answers bright and early tis morning.

I spoke to the Genesis repair center. They claim that they are unaware of any such defect. I am waiting from a call back from the product manager at Crammer and Decker and the sales rep. To have a problem is one thing. To not tell those who need to know is another.

Just a quick update. Noody from Genesis or Crammer and decker ever returned our calls or e-mails

Back
Top Bottom