Georgia "Orphans"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
I am presently involved with a group of Orphaned and abused teenagers via DFACS.

On a recent field trip to Panama Beach it was amazing to see the look of excitement and bewilderment in the children’s faces, Many of these kids had never so much as seen the ocean before.

We as SCUBA divers take it for granted that we can afford to dive, and afford to purchase the necessary equipment, Most of these kids will never be able to experience what we all casually call "an enjoyable weekend".

I have discussed my hobby with a few of these kids and the look of awe is one that tears you in two.

What I would like to do is put together a group of the most deserving (and old enough) kids and offer them a once in a lifetime chance to Learn to SCUBA Dive.

The DFACS budget is pretty much non-existent, so it would all need to be done Free of Charge.

I am not an instructor, nor a Dive Master, so this is where I am asking for help.

If anyone is willing to assist us with this project please contact me.
I think if we had 3 or 4 Instructors, a few LDS's and a lot of good heart, this would be an easy task. The Quarry's in Alabama would be a perfect platform. Im sure a local Church would be happy to donate a Bus for the travel.

I know we sometimes all get a little lazy and "its all too hard" sometimes, but these kids deserve a bit of effort.
Some of them have been through a pretty rough run, and the teachings and Discipline of SCUBA can come as a much needed guide to a better life.
A kid hooked on Narcosis is a lot better than one hooked on narcotics.

Please leave any suggestions, offers or advice on this board.

Many Thanks
Dave

someone else on scubaboard is involved with a similar project. Possibly in Florida. NetDoc works with a Boy Scout adventure crew so maybe he would have some suggestions that may help.

Thats one of the best parts, the incentive to work and earn money, we all know how addictive the dive bug can be.

These kids need the motivation to go the next step, most of them see drugs and alcohol as the only thing to do, lets give them another option. Something to work toward, a goal and direction!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom