Get my non-diving wife on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I can't get my non-diving wife to go on a liveaboard. I've never been, so I don't have enough ammo to persuade her. She likes beaches and great restaurants…not many of either on a boat. Help me out here!

easy---bribery. make a deal, make a trade.

Not sure I can afford the price of the trade. It would have to be crazy big to get her out for a week or more.

Hi parrotdiver,

Don't bother, you regret the grief if things aren't to her liking... 1 week of sulking onboard (makes other divers avoid you too), 2 weeks of nagging, 3 -4 weeks of not getting any LOL!!

Go for your trip, enjoy or suffer through it, take some pics for the missus and take her out for a good meal near the beach when you return. You'll probably need the good meal too LOL! I know I did after I returned for a recent live on board... survived that one in Thailand.

SangP

Would you both be happy on a cruise ship with a dedicated dive focus? Your wife would have dining and shore excursion opportunities while you could dive. You wouldn't get as much diving in as on a liveaboard, but you could still experience a variety of dive sites in different areas.

Try a crewed sailboat charter on a boat that has diving. My husband and I did two crewed charters in the Caribbean in the early 90's (before I was diving). It was the closest I'll ever get to being an Arab sheikh. Pampering beyond reason. We did beaches and snorkelling and windsurfing and water skiing and lots of lying in the sun and reading, as well as some serious eating and drinking.

The end of this month, we are off again, to the British Virgin Islands. We will spend a week on a 50' catamaran which is also a dive boat. The divers will have an opportunity to enjoy being underwater, but the non-divers will have sun and beaches and pampering and food and wine (not to say that the divers won't participate in those things as well!)

It's not a five-dive-a-day liveaboard, but it's a boat/dive experience that everybody can enjoy.

The only non-divers I've seen on liveaboards are grandmas traveling with their families. There is really nothing to do for non-divers. Even during the surface intervals the divers are talking about diving & most nights when everyone is asleep right after the last dive.

If you do convince her to go, you will owe her big time!

Good Luck.
You know "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" don't you? I would suggest you go by yourself and treat her to something she would like to do (a trip with the girls?) or forget the liveaboard and substitute some place you can shore dive. I would rather live with a pissed woman at home than on a boat for a week...and the next few weeks afterwards. After 26 yrs of marriage that still scares me :)
Curacao has some nice beaches, good diving and lots of boring stuff like shopping to do. You could dive a lot like a liveaboard and keep her happy at the same time.
Your best long term solution is to do what I did, I finally got my wife interested in diving (no direct pressure from me) and now she wants to do a liveaboard.

Wow, after doing a liveaboard in December I wouldn't recommend it for any non-diver! The only exception that I can think of would be the Cuan Law in the BVIs, and that isn't really a liveaboard per se, it's more a trimaran that has diving.

You've all convinced me to stop trying to get her on the liveaboard. I guess there's really nothing for her to do on one. I'll find another way to get to those hard to find dive sites.

She wins...again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom