Get Trained (Not an advertisement Yes A Rant)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
You're all right therefor the Original Was Removed because it was more like a advertisement... which was not the intent

You want to get trained in scuba then do a full scuba course because three day courses that cut corners do nothing to best prepare the new diver for the water world.

A full scuba course should take between 20-25 hours
have at least three pool(or confined water) training sessions
ensure the student understand and comprehends the physics and physiology of diving
know the impact of dive computers and their relation to tables
have the students plan and execute the final dives
ensure students have "mastered" the skills such as to perform them without any apprehension before heading to the open water dive site
Skills should be performed from the neutral buoyancy platform not the kneeing on the platform
equipment should be viewed as life support and taken care of and secured during the dive

Resort courses are for resorts where the dive staff are there to safely monitor you they do train divers well enough, they are for fun and a experience. Take the time to get properly trained, have fun during the class but dive safe

Last edited:
Looks like an advertisement, smells like an advertisement....

IJS

How is that a rant? Looks like a straight up listing of your credentials and training services to me.

"I" "I" "I" . . . It's all about you dude.

By the way, my first cert training had more hours of everything "you" are offering.

And I agree that 3 day courses can never be adequate, no matter how conducted, no matter who teaches them, no matter how bright the student.

Your first post was quite detailed and if I recall somewhat longer that say a PADI course. Not really important, but am just wondering if it generally costs more?

Your first post was quite detailed and if I recall somewhat longer that say a PADI course. Not really important, but am just wondering if it generally costs more?

No it shouldn't cost any more, I don't think. You still need to match the local market for what a class costs

i don't know if the purpose of this was to "advertise" as suggested, i couldn't care less. i certainly agree with you. our local shop runs 6 class along with 6 pool sessions over 6 nights. either 1 night/wk for 6 weeks or 2 nights/wk for 3 weeks. it does total about 24 hours. then they do 4 open water dives. usually 2 dives/day over 2 days.
the introduction of these quick certifications and "resort" courses may be the single worst decision made by the dive industry in the long term. it is great for the resorts, and certain agencies. but at the local level it only serves to take customers away. and even worse is that all it does is flood the market with unprepared new divers. most of who will drop out of diving eventually.
sorry if that is a rant. haha that is my local instructor rubbing off on me. haha (that didn't sound right did it)

Skills should be performed from the neutral buoyancy platform not the kneeing on the platform
equipment should be viewed as life support and taken care of and secured during the dive

Why would anyone want an instructor who want to teach you that you will die if your gear fails?

I have really no idea what the original post was all about, whether it was self publicity, advertising, or a comment on the state of scuba training, but I think it is important to make a distinction between who the courses are aimed at.

If you want to dive in all conditions, year round and do decompression/mixed gas dives then you need a thorough background and training as a diver and regular practice. Such as you will get from a club environment or a regular group of friends and buddies who dive and practice together year round. I have found that environment through a CMAS club in the Middle East and through various BSAC clubs in the UK which give me the opportunity to continuously practice and improve and dive with a group of friends.

If however you are only ever going to dive a couple of times a year at resorts on holiday in warm water with a DM or guide and probably to less than 60 foot, then actually do you need to be as well trained and thoroughly practiced? So long as you can control your buoyancy, mask clear, CESA, air share and stick with your buddy then arguably you can dive safely within these limits with the training from a resort style course.

Not everyone wants or needs to be the superman diver - so it really is horses for courses, each type of diving is valid in it's own way, and within it's own limitations - at least in my view - Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom