Getting into Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kind of OT, but did you see the documentary on tiger sharks during shark week? It was about a free diver and a tiger shark he befriended. It was so amazing (their relatinonship), I cried. Not even kidding. And he could hold his breath 6 minutes!

Ermm, I've watched quite a few documentaries of freedivers and sharks, and I can't remember which is which.:D

I really like this set of photos: Nektos

Check them out, it's about a freediver and tiger sharks.

Yea freedivers dont normally black out especially when doing recreational or even while training, however it is not comletely uncommon for freedivers to black out at some point during competition where they are pushingtheir limits to the max. But this is in a very safe and structured enviroment of competition and most blackouts are quick and at the surface. But i could see how that could make it seem like freedivers black out quit often. Also when someone blacks out it draws a little bit more attention so your more likely to hear about those incidents more often.

As far as getting into the sport... Until you can afford a formal class just work on your breathing, taking deep breaths and working on getting your heart rate down. Getting comfortable with the water is a big step so go out and dive whenever you can just keep in mind taht it can be dangerous and respect the sport as such.

If your not near water then work on your dry land breath holds. One good exercise is to do some breath holds to get your body into "oxygen conservation mode" or whatever you feel like calling it. Then do a 1 min breath hold on your back, flip over, and on the same breath do as many pushups as you can. This teaches your body to not only deal with the lack of oxygen but also the build up of CO2 that happens during a breathhold.

BTW where do you go to college?

I have been diving a long time and still think snorkelling/freediving is far more fun than scuba.

you surely can not see the amount of life that you can on scuba,but the simplistic side of free diving and cardio excercise competes easily with scuba.

Recently we had a death in one of the major training pools for free divers here in brisbane and it changed all regulations for our use of the pools.

You can feel the blackout coming a mile away,just keep thinking and use your common sense and you will be fine.

liquidg,
you should get your facts straight. You will NOT feel a blackout coming from a mile away.. DO NOT misinform people with your ideas that could get them killed.

I can only go on my own thirty seven years of experience in scuba, free diving and a lot of surfing as well ,plus what many others that I have spoken to over the years have said.
I still do all of these, though I think 5 to 10 years more may slow it down a great deal.

I am fifty one now and that 70 plus feet that I could go to(I know for some that is not much) and carry out spearing or collecting has become 50 plus feet now and my common sense and the feeling in my body of oncoming suffocation and the fear of what my body is going thru tells me not to push it further.

Unless there is an underlying medical condition, of which I would hope one would be are aware of, most people that I have spoken to know not to push it to the limit.

When it feels wrong, stop there! It is that simple.

You can feel the affects of this as I have at least three times severely and my weight belt out of desperation was dropped to save my life.

Two times surfing I have been to the edge, trapped, pushed to the bottom by pounding waves, once with a fin sliced in to my right bottom cheek.

Any one that does any interaction with the ocean with out some experienced guidance to start with may get them selves into trouble.

I always tell others to start in a pool.

The guy in the pool that died put up with a massively blocked antrums and was very much over weight for that and had a heart condition and asthma and showing off, from what I heard to his or other children, now that is not common sense is it.

Blood was coming out of his face and that I have seen before.
A friends husband at Terrigal in the early seventies of my brother had a similar thing happen and his ego let him stand near the edge for a photo, a wave nocked him off, still with all his scuba gear on and he did not have his mask on or his second stage in his mouth and got trapped and drowned.
He had come out with a mask full of blood and was very embarrassed and than made an even bigger mistake than just tolerating not being able to pop his ears.

I know for a fact you can feel the losing of conches ness coming on and ones common sense should tell them this feeling is not right and should get out of the situation, fast if necessary.

I know for a fact you can feel the losing of conches ness coming on and ones common sense should tell them this feeling is not right and should get out of the situation, fast if necessary.

Oh really, and how many times have you blacked out? I know for a fact that a shallow water blackout will give you no warning, and if you ever visit with those who have experienced a shallow water blackout, they will tell you they remember nothing of it, no warning, nothing. In fact, even after regaining consciousness, they will most of the time deny that they blacked out. Imagine that. Talk to those who have experienced it, and you will learn that there was no clue that it was coming. You're fine one minute, going to the surface, next thing you know, someone is telling you it's o.k. to breath, and you're wondering what all the concern is, and maybe why your mask is no longer on your face but at the bottom of the lake or ocean, where it landed after they took it off of you.

hmb is correct regarding a blackout. However, from your perspective, what is it you "feel" that indicates a blackout is imminent AND how do you propose one should "get out of the situation"?

I have a question regarding blackouts since were on the topic.

A while ago I was going for my max breath hold in a pool, about 5 mins. I had about 3 people spotting me for the attempt and I had been doing smaller breath holds prior to this to get my body and mind ready. To do my max breath hold I started by taking deep slow breaths to calm myself and then took 3 deep breaths and did some packing. When I put my face into the water the next thing I remember is waking up about 30 seconds later blowing bubbles as my buddy picked my head up out of the water. For the record I never felt it coming but this could be a different type of blackout, idk.

I was just wondering what had caused this? Can you blackout from overoxygenating? Maybe I had taken my last 3 breaths too quickly and hyperventilated a bit?

Needless to say I'm glad I learned my lesson in a safe environment with people around paying attention. It def knocked a bit more respect into my head for the sport.

You can black out for many different reasons, sometimes over oxygenation is a possibilty as well as hyperventilating or pushing your body to its limit...

Yet I almost feel as if we are discussing different things here.

A Black out cannot be sensed in ways, I've had black outs before and known I've had one and other times where its a complete memory loss. I am no Doctor but I do believe if you Can feel that you have pushed your body to its limits and you know it there is a sense of your body almost 'rebooting' itself in a black out I've had this after doing a very intense excercise session and it was that moment of "whoops over did it" and promtly woke up a few seconds later on the floor.
I think we are discussing almost different things of over doing ones self, stupidity and then your general black out. I don't think attacking anyones comments or saying something is completely inaccurate is the best way to go about things...
I do believe SAFETY is a priority and if you are seriously considering freediving a Trainer as well as research is the best way too go. DO remember never to push yourself to the limit of your body or you will experience situations like a black out where you are not equipped to handle the situation. If you are doing breath holds in the water always have a CPR trained buddy or be in a place help can get too you quickly..
Anyways Always remember, Respect the safety of your body it will tell you when its had enough.

Take care and good luck

I have a question regarding blackouts since were on the topic.
I was just wondering what had caused this? Can you blackout from overoxygenating? Maybe I had taken my last 3 breaths too quickly and hyperventilated a bit?

Needless to say I'm glad I learned my lesson in a safe environment with people around paying attention. It def knocked a bit more respect into my head for the sport.

Aquah21, I believe your blackout was caused by the packing and if you bent over to put your face in the pool, it could have added to the cause. I have experienced 1 blackout on dry land doing something similar, venting, then packing, then getting up to walk. I only made it about 50'. I understand that some blackouts can occur right near the surface at the beginning of a dive, and after packing. I completely believe this after my experience and have heard exactly that happening to others. I wonder if there isn't a correlation between packing lungs full and then putting extra stress/pressure on vitals by doing a surface dive (bending at the waist).

Back
Top Bottom